• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Multicolor leaf hibiscus

Ignacio

Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2016
Messages
54
Hi, how is everyone doing? I haven't been active online in a long time but I wanted to make sure this type of hibiscus is safe like the common green leaf ones. I moved to Florida a little under a year ago and obviously Max (Russian tort), Demo (the dog) and Boxie (turtle) came with me. During this time I've been getting a variety of plants for Max to eat. Last week, I saw this hibiscus with not only green leaves but also burgundy and pink leaves and I got it but I havent found anything online about if it is the same as the more common ones or if its toxic?

Also does anyone knows if sea grape leaves are safe to feed him?

Thank you and I hope to hear from you guys
 

Attachments

ZEROPILOT

Well-Known Member
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jul 16, 2014
Messages
20,398
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Interesting.
I also live in Florida and I own a lot of hibiscus. But none like that.
I'm strongly assuming that those are also safe, as well as a good food source. But let's wait until others have spoken.
My real concern would be that they are small and potted. Are they from a nursery of retail store? A lot of places that sell plants use systemic poison to stop insects from eating them. This type of poison is not sprayed on, its actually inside the plant. And those plants must be allowed to grow out for a while before its really safe to feed any part of it.
 

Ignacio

Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2016
Messages
54
Interesting.
I also live in Florida and I own a lot of hibiscus. But none like that.
I'm strongly assuming that those are also safe, as well as a good food source. But let's wait until others have spoken.
My real concern would be that they are small and potted. Are they from a nursery of retail store? A lot of places that sell plants use systemic poison to stop insects from eating them. This type of poison is not sprayed on, its actually inside the plant. And those plants must be allowed to grow out for a while before its really safe to feed any part of it.
Thank you, I’ve been transplanting, replacing the soil and waiting at least 2 months before feeding anything I buy
 
Top