Murphys Mansion

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Just completed "Murphys Mansion" an upgraded indoor/winter enclosure. It's 8x8 and the night box is 4x2. I used @Tom design for the night box I just changed the door a little. There's 2 - 150watt CHE's and the box is going to have a 40watt radiant heat panel. Im still waiting on the panel though. Everything is hooked up to thermostats set at 85F. I've got some more plants growing out that will go in eventually. Murphy is spending his first day in it and currently conducting an inspection lolIMG_20200522_095316596.jpgIMG_20200522_095345138.jpgIMG_20200522_095412992.jpgIMG_20200522_100741600.jpgIMG_20200522_100815725.jpgIMG_20200522_100913549.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice! I'm curious why you placed the night box in the center of the wall. Putting it in a corner would have given you more floor space.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Nice! I'm curious why you placed the night box in the center of the wall. Putting it in a corner would have given you more floor space.

I think a 4x2 “box” takes away the same amount of available “floor space” regardless of where it is placed Inside the enclosure.

The enclosure is 8x8 = 64 square feet
The night box is 4x2 = 08 square feet
—————————————————
Available floor space less enclosure is 56 square feet

So, it probably doesn't really matter. Now...he could have put the night box on the outside of the enclosure so the entrance leads out into the fully open enclosure, would have added 8 additional sq feet. But it’s all good. Looks great. Lucky tort.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I just liked the way it looked there and it made 2 nice little cubbie holes for plants.
I think a 4x2 “box” takes away the same amount of available “floor space” regardless of where it is placed Inside the enclosure.

The enclosure is 8x8 = 64 square feet
The night box is 4x2 = 08 square feet
—————————————————
Available floor space less enclosure is 56 square feet

So, it probably doesn't really matter. Now...he could have put the night box on the outside of the enclosure so the entrance leads out into the fully open enclosure, would have added 8 additional sq feet. But it’s all good. Looks great. Lucky tort.
That's actually a fantastic idea. Lol Just when I thought I was done.

rade1610

Vsetin, Czech republic
Very nice! I am only wondering how will you keep desired humidity when it does not have a closed top? Will it not be much power demanding since almost all heat goes away from enclosure?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Very nice! I am only wondering how will you keep desired humidity when it does not have a closed top? Will it not be much power demanding since almost all heat goes away from enclosure?
Thank you! There's two large ponds in the basement as well which keeps the humidity pretty high down there. It's been staying around 70-80% so far. IMG_20200524_072141233.jpgIMG_20200524_071948754.jpgThe basement doesn't get that cold in the winter probably low 50s at the worst. The night box is insulated and heated. So even if the temperature drops down there a bit in the pen im confident the night box will stay 85F. Might have to make some adjustments come winter I'll just have to see.

Relic

Here
Being a native of a "non-basement" State (I think our State Constitution prohibits them or something) I have never fully appreciated all the possibilities a basement provides for herpers. I generally just think of basements as places where mass-murderers keep the corpses in the freezer...but now I wish I had one. (For animals, not corpses.)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Being a native of a "non-basement" State (I think our State Constitution prohibits them or something) I have never fully appreciated all the possibilities a basement provides for herpers. I generally just think of basements as places where mass-murderers keep the corpses in the freezer...but now I wish I had one. (For animals, not corpses.)
I grew up in South Florida. Never even seen a basement till I moved here lol.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Murphy has decided this is his spot under the bush. He spends 90% of his time sitting right here. He hasn't been using the hide box for some reasonIMG_20200623_133731073.jpgIMG_20200623_133741988.jpg

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Pffft.

You know people have put cameras and thought-reading stuff all up in there. Like you'd go and think your private tortoise things and sleep where people have put cameras and stuff...