Mushroom Growing in Tort Enclosure!

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hello hello, so I woke up this morning and checked on BamBam to find a mushroom growing in her enclosure!!!!
Either it grew overnight or I just completely missed it yesterday.
I promptly ripped it out.
It probably came from the sphagnum moss I've got in there.
But does anyone know what kind of mushroom it is and if it's safe for her?
I tossed it anyway, but I just want to know in case she somehow took a nibble of it when I wasn't watching. Thanks!!

.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461509230.794821.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461509240.903047.jpg

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
After searching her entire enclosure I found more of these evil mushrooms, so I ripped out massive chunks of dirt and moss so hopefully I won't see anymore of them. But if they were in the moss then should I just rip out all of it? I have more that I can boil up (the first batch I ran under scalding hot water. The second I didn't and hence the mushrooms) to replace it with. But should I worry about replacing the dirt/coir as well???
Ugh.
Why mushrooms?! ☹

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Is it an indoor or outdoor enclosure? I can't help you with the mushroom, sorry. Just wish to know.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are providing the perfect conditions for mushrooms to grow.

About mushrooms: They can be very difficult to properly ID even for Mycologists. There are many look-a-likes too. Some are deadly toxic, and others are edible.

Best to check and remove them every morning. I get some in my outdoor enclosures every June. I just carefully pluck them up every morning before the tortoises go out. They do literally pop up over night.