Substrate growing white mushroom type things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccskye

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland.
Hi everyone, for the past week or so these little white mushroom-like things have been sprouting up in my tortoise enclosure. My substrate is just sterilised topsoil.

bkIv6.png

I have just been digging them out, but I'd like to know what they are and if they're harmful to my tortoise.
Taffy doesn't seem interested in them at all, I've never seen her try to nibble on one or anything.

Thanks. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hmmmm? I have nothing concrete to offer you...however, my post will give your thread a bump back to the front and perhaps someone familiar with them will let you know...

ccskye

5 Year Member
Scotland.
ccskye said:
Hi everyone, for the past week or so these little white mushroom-like things have been sprouting up in my tortoise enclosure. My substrate is just sterilised topsoil.

bkIv6.png

I have just been digging them out, but I'd like to know what they are and if they're harmful to my tortoise.
Taffy doesn't seem interested in them at all, I've never seen her try to nibble on one or anything.

Thanks. :)

Any ideas? Anyone..?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Definitely mushrooms, I've seen them in my yard. As for toxicity I don't know, and I don't see anything on the Tortoise Table.

Obviously you're keeping things nice and moist!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
The mushroom fungus was likely present in the topsoil when you bought it and sprouted when you added all that wonderful moisture.

Toxic mushrooms are very difficult to differentiate from non-toxic varieties. I'd pull them and throw them out, just as you have been doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.