Mushy Food Alternatives.

We have had our tortoise for about 2-3 months and we where wondering if theirs any mushy recipes for tortoises the reason I ask is because we recently went to the zoo and saw some desert tortoises eating a mushy substance that looked loike black beans. Also my tortoises eat their own poop. I stop them when they do but is this normal? I have a redfooted and a Herman's if you can give me a mushy vegetable concoction that would be well appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hopefully you are not housing the two together.
A proper diet is more important then a mushy diet, so be sure to be feeding them a proper diet and grazing naturally when possible and even pulling apart leading greens etc helps to keep their beak in good shape. Be sure to read the care sheets for both

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoise beaks grow like fingernails. The way a tortoise keeps his beak in proper biting order is to have to bite off his food. If you switch him to a mushy diet, his beak will soon grow too long and misshaped.

An occasional meal of something mushy, like moistened Mazuri Tortoise Diet, is ok, but not for every meal. Next time you go to the zoo, ask them what they're feeding the tortoises. I think we'd all like to know the answer to that

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
We have had our tortoise for about 2-3 months and we where wondering if theirs any mushy recipes for tortoises the reason I ask is because we recently went to the zoo and saw some desert tortoises eating a mushy substance that looked loike black beans. Also my tortoises eat their own poop. I stop them when they do but is this normal? I have a redfooted and a Herman's if you can give me a mushy vegetable concoction that would be well appreciated.
A very warm welcome to the forum!

I used to feed Oli Roman lettuce which he loves. However, I came to learn that it it not enough. A very generous member at the forum sent me mazuri tort diet is not available here. Since then I have been feeding Oli the right diet.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Mushy foods also tend to be lower in good fiber, and Mazuri does not want you to soak their chow.