Old tortoise pellets as plant food?

Avuwyy

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool, Merseyside
I have some dry food (soakable) which has gone out of date that I was wondering if I could use as plant feed? This is food that isn’t really the best for tortoises that I bought before I purchased my animal thinking it was fine for them to eat, bright coloured pellets containing fruit and vegetable matter, with corn, oats and such in it, as well as darker pellets which are dried dandelion, oat and beet based pellets.

I kept them for this long just as I felt a little guilty for throwing away food stuff (Whether or not it’s edible), so I’m wondering if these pellets can be used for feeding my plants? (Such as soaking them and using the water for the plant). I really need to get rid of them and unsure how without feeling as though I’m wasting food and this is the only real option I can come up with, and Im not quite sure if my using these things as feed will kill my plants as I can’t find any information anywhere regarding tortoise pellets being used for this.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If it were me, I'd put it in the worm bin. I think the nutrients would be 'more available' to plants after composting.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks for taking the time to respond, it means a lot! I may end up trying both of these and seeing which works best. We do have a few local hedgehogs who march through the garden looking for things to eat, so it’d be nice to encourage worms n such into the garden :)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Thanks for taking the time to respond, it means a lot! I may end up trying both of these and seeing which works best. We do have a few local hedgehogs who march through the garden looking for things to eat, so it’d be nice to encourage worms n such into the garden :)
Wow, I would set up a feeding station for those lovely little buggers! In Richmond, VA we have nasty rodents even chipmunks almost as big as rats!