Music and Attitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati Ohio
So over the past year I have been doing somewhat of an experiment with my little RT friend Sophie. Its nothing big but what I have been doing is just playing difforent types of music and watching to see if Sophie had any reaction. The only reason I have taken so long with it is to make sure none the results were just random. What I have found so far was when I played Hard Rock she would go sit in her hide and hide in her shell. When I played Classical she would sprawl out somewhere and just go to sleep. When I played Soft Rock she did not really have much of a change in attitude. Jazz made her perk up a little more then normal and start roaming around her enclosure more. Country did just about the same as Jazz but when Sophie found out where the music was coming from she sat and stared at the radio. I was wondering if anyone else has done anything like this? I also only have one tort so im not sure if its just my little girl or what. I also have been wondering about difforent species of tort. So I guess I was just wondering what some feedback would be, any and all is great. Thanks in advance.

Tyler

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Very interesting. I think some people would have the same reaction as Sophie. I have not played music for my CDTs, but will give it a try. I wonder what they would think of Reggae

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Angi said:
Very interesting. I think some people would have the same reaction as Sophie. I have not played music for my CDTs, but will give it a try. I wonder what they would think of Regea ( sp? )

That is one that I have not tried. I'm sure there are a lot more out there that I still need to try. At the moment I am trying Christmas music since that is most of what is on the radio this time of year lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tyler, you have too much time on your hands. Get a hobby... :)

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
It probally has more to do with the vibrations then the music itself.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Tortoises hear certain wavelengths quite well, but generally do not respond to most sound without vibration. Your results sort of show that they are being affected by the vibrations as much as anything else- low vibration music has little effect, hard vibrations scare it, and moderate vibrations make it curious.

They also cannot see too far past glass, so may not be looking at the radio- but can tell where the vibrations in the tank are coming from.

This is a great observation, but as you noticed, some of the vibrations scare it back to the hide. You may want to avoid that much vibration too often.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I have a hingeback tortoise that used to bob his head in time to music when I lived in my dorm. It was rock music, and not particularly loud (generally played off my computer speakers). He hasn't had much exposure to music in years, though, so I'm not sure if he'll still do it.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Tom said:
Tyler, you have too much time on your hands. Get a hobby... :)

Haha this is my one hobby between working and going to college. I get to spend time with my little friend so it makes me happy.

Shelly said:

haha I actually will, sounds good to me.

terryo said:
How loud do you play the music?

Not very loud at all, I love my Sophie and really didn't want to hurt her.

Tyler

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Think I'll test Jennifer and Ptolemy with some Rebetiko
music (essentially, the Greek version of Delta blues)...

Hopefully, Ptolemy won't start any knife-fights... :cool:

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Terry Allan Hall said:

haha you really have to watch them, they hide all sorts of things in their shells, knives, guns, just about anything you can think of lol.

Tyler

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Smithen said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

haha you really have to watch them, they hide all sorts of things in their shells, knives, guns, just about anything you can think of lol.

Tyler

I've had to have a few father-to-tortoise talks w/ Ptolemy...I blame all the gangsta-rap music!

wpa0884l.jpg

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I believe most mammals are capable of distinguishing harsh music from soft music. I truly believe that reptiles are incapable of making that observation themselves. I love tortoises and I love music, (being a tortoise keeper and a musician,) but I just don't think reptiles in general respond to any type of music. Since they are not a "fight or flight" animal, they don't need to hear much more than vibrations. I also believe that their tympanum's are not sensitive enough to pick up high frequencies.

-Matt

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Wow, Terry... that's a... um... thats a pretty BIG logo in your sig! I like it, but dude- it takes up most of my screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.