MVB bulb questions

Hoker09

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have a MVB now. Mostly because it seemed to be the most cost effective option. Are they good? Enclosure is warm enough. Waiting for my temp gun to arrive so I can see how hot the basking area is, but feels like a nice mid summer Arizona afternoon (100-105°ish). House doesn't get below 78 this time of year.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They do work. However, they do seem to really dry out the carapace and cause pyramiding. I have leopards and even with very high humidity, I still have pyramiding and I use a mvb. If you have a hatchling I would change it out. An adult I wouldn't as they usually don't pyramid once they are an adult.

Hoker09

Arizona
Ok. I was looking at fluorescent tubing for uv and separate light for basking.
Does it help to soak them daily? I also have been trying to keep the soil as moist as possible.
Only have had him since Friday and trying to learn a lot in a little time.
Thank you

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I have a MVB now. Mostly because it seemed to be the most cost effective option. Are they good? Enclosure is warm enough. Waiting for my temp gun to arrive so I can see how hot the basking area is, but feels like a nice mid summer Arizona afternoon (100-105°ish). House doesn't get below 78 this time of year.

Mercury vapor bulbs are not cost effective. While your initial setup costs are lower than a basking and linear florescent fixture combo, the lifespan of a typical mercury vapor bulb is twice as low as a regular linear florescent bulb. You'll easily eclipse the total price of maintenance and electricity bills in the long run. And since tortoises live a very long time, you'll be slowly racking in additional costs over an owner with a combo setup. The savings aren't big but it does add up to quite a bit.

If you're interested in saving more money you'll want to consider swapping to either 1x basking and 2x linear florescent fixture system or a 1x basking, 1x led ambient light fixture, and 1x t5 HO UV(B) linear florescent fixture. Set the UV(B) bulb to 4 hour daily cycles and the 6500k ambient lighting bulb to 12-14 hour daily cycles. That would currently be cheapest overall setup that I can think of.

I also agree with @wellington. Mercury vapor bulbs are quite intense and will often not work well in closed chamber-styled enclosure because of the amount of heat output it gives in an enclosed space.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species and size tortoise are we talking about?

Hoker09

Arizona
What species and size tortoise are we talking about?
~2.5 - 3 inch Sulcata. I am working on getting a dual bulb fluorescent like I used to have with my Red Ear Sliders years ago. Worked wonders with one bulb as uv and one as ambient.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
~2.5 - 3 inch Sulcata. I am working on getting a dual bulb fluorescent like I used to have with my Red Ear Sliders years ago. Worked wonders with one bulb as uv and one as ambient.

Personally I consider dual bulb fixtures to be overpriced and much less effective than a separate combo system.

1. Diameter size of the hoods are very small. They're not going to project over a larger area.

2. They're placed too close to one another. These hoods are likely designed to be used in tiny enclosures (2.5-3 ft in length) that are often considered by some to be too small for most hatchling tortoises.

3. A dual bulb fixture would not be enough in an average 8 x 4 ft enclosure. They will also take up more overhead space than a standard 10.5 inch lamp fixture. The overall weight of a dual bulb fixture (2.7 lbs) is also more than double of a 10.5 lamp fixture (13.6 ounces). That extra weight may pose an issue in some non-one piece closed chamber setups.

For a sulcata you'll also need either a ceramic heat emitter or reptile heat panel for overnight heating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please read these. The dual bulb fixtures are not the way to go. Those coil type UV bulbs are not effective UV sources and they sometimes damage tortoise eyes.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Hoker09

Arizona
I'm not talking about CFL e27 bulbs or the dome dual bulb, never liked those. I used to have a 24" two tube fluorescent fixture. Trying to find another one like it. It took up way less space then 2 fixtures. I had a UV bulb and a ambient in there.
Right now we have him in a 2'-3' enclosure. The light doesn't spread well, I agree. Actually picking up 4 single domes and 3 18" tube fixtures tomorrow for more lighting options. This will also allow me to add heaters.

I still am learning and will get it right soon! Thank you all for the input