mvb life. 3 months or 6?

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
I`ve had my powersun for about 3 months now, and didn`t have plans to replace it for 3 more. However I recently read a thread that said mvbs only last three months, not the one year claimed. Has there been any more tests done and should I look at a new bulb or wait it out.

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I bought a UV sensor and I can tell you they don't last a year. When I bought the sensor, my Powersun lights were 9 months old an were barely putting out any UV. Ive had new ones for three months now and they are still putting out UV so far.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One of our veterinarian members has been testing his own bulbs and he found that UVB output stopped at three months in his MVBs.

The only way to know is to get a meter: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Having this meter will save you a ton of money over the long term and will always make sure that your tortoises UV needs are being met. I have UV tubes that are 2 and three years old and still putting out decent UV. Imagine the cost if I had been replacing all these bulbs every six months as recommended. Its also extremely wasteful to be throwing away perfectly good bulbs if they are still working.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
One of our veterinarian members has been testing his own bulbs and he found that UVB output stopped at three months in his MVBs.

The only way to know is to get a meter: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Having this meter will save you a ton of money over the long term and will always make sure that your tortoises UV needs are being met. I have UV tubes that are 2 and three years old and still putting out decent UV. Imagine the cost if I had been replacing all these bulbs every six months as recommended. Its also extremely wasteful to be throwing away perfectly good bulbs if they are still working.
That's the meter I bought. After getting an idea of the lifespan of MVB's, I'm thinking it would be much more economical to use tube bulbs and heat emitters. The MVB's are convenient for the combination of UV and heat, but on Amazon, 100W Powersuns are going for $40 and produce UV for months, Reptisun 5.0 T5's are going for $21, and from what I understand, last for years. Over time, the initial investment for additional fixtures would be a fair tradeoff for cheaper bulbs with a longer life span.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
I bought a UV sensor and I can tell you they don't last a year. When I bought the sensor, my Powersun lights were 9 months old an were barely putting out any UV. Ive had new ones for three months now and they are still putting out UV so far.

Yeah i figured 6 months instead of a year, though one would think that manufactures would undersell their bulbs rather than oversell. I`m a college student though and a solar meter just is not in m budget. I`ll prob switch back to a tube after this bulb goes. Right now i have an 18" tube with 3 months of use over one of the corners in addition to his mvb, and i`ll just get a 36" in the future. PJ at the rate of decay and the output you have now, do you think it will reach 6 months?

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Yeah i figured 6 months instead of a year, though one would think that manufactures would undersell their bulbs rather than oversell. I`m a college student though and a solar meter just is not in m budget. I`ll prob switch back to a tube after this bulb goes. Right now i have an 18" tube with 3 months of use over one of the corners in addition to his mvb, and i`ll just get a 36" in the future. PJ at the rate of decay and the output you have now, do you think it will reach 6 months?
I have four three-month old Powersuns, and they all put out similar rates of UV. One is a little lower than the others, but not by much. I check weekly as part of my routine, and have detected only slight UV level drop-off in three months. Our bulbs are the same age, so if you want to check in with me periodically, I'd be happy to share my readings with you so you know when to recycle the bulb. Private message would be the surest way to get my attention.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I just want to make sure you know that the bulb will light up and look normal even after the UVB output drops to zero. Some people think if the bulb lights up, it is still making UV. Not necessarily.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
I just want to make sure you know that the bulb will light up and look normal even after the UVB output drops to zero. Some people think if the bulb lights up, it is still making UV. Not necessarily.

Oh no i`m aware of that.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
I have four three-month old Powersuns, and they all put out similar rates of UV. One is a little lower than the others, but not by much. I check weekly as part of my routine, and have detected only slight UV level drop-off in three months. Our bulbs are the same age, so if you want to check in with me periodically, I'd be happy to share my readings with you so you know when to recycle the bulb. Private message would be the surest way to get my attention.

Awesome, thanks a lot!