MVB pyramiding

soph.h

Location (City and/or State)
England
my mum and I picked up a MVB bulb to try for Colin over the next few months before he goes into an outdoor enclosure for the warmer months. I posted a thread about the tube lights yesterday and we went to pick a new one up + fixtures today but they didn't have any of the ones we were looking for. A friend recommended MVB to me so we went for that instead..
Acadia 80W MVB
I only just read about risk of pyramiding?
is this something that only applies to babies? Colin is 15 now so he's not growing much (if at all)
Should this be a concern? I am aware the bulbs don't have a good rep for lasting longer than 3 months, which is a bit annoying but my biggest concern is the pyramiding. Any thoughts?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
MVBs used to be recommended because they are a convenient all in one bulb, however they have been found to dry and damage tort shells especially if not positioned at the right height. They are also very fragile and the uvb fades quite quickly so can be very expensive.
The T5 HO tube kits are used by many of us now I bought my Arcadia kit online for less than £50 and only took a couple of days to arrive.
If you post a picture of your tort and how you are using the bulb it will give members a better idea of what to recommend.

soph.h

England
MVBs used to be recommended because they are a convenient all in one bulb, however they have been found to dry and damage tort shells especially if not positioned at the right height. They are also very fragile and the uvb fades quite quickly so can be very expensive.
The T5 HO tube kits are used by many of us now I bought my Arcadia kit online for less than £50 and only took a couple of days to arrive.
If you post a picture of your tort and how you are using the bulb it will give members a better idea of what to recommend.
I will go take a photo of the set up when I get home..
Does the Arcadia kit come with the frame as Colin is in an open top table, so the light would need to be suspended somehow

soph.h

England
I will go take a photo of the set up when I get home..
Does the Arcadia kit come with the frame as Colin is in an open top table, so the light would need to be suspended somehow
The table is not great and I know it needs upgrading- I am building him a new one myself over the coming couple of weeks.
Currently the bulb is 12 inches from his back, as the basking spot is 30.3°C when the lamp is on.
Tort is a Mediterranean spur thigh. He's pretty small (5inches) and has been with me for a couple of months now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 079AB846-E844-47C3-95EB-0680BF954B0B.jpeg
    079AB846-E844-47C3-95EB-0680BF954B0B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
my mum and I picked up a MVB bulb to try for Colin over the next few months before he goes into an outdoor enclosure for the warmer months. I posted a thread about the tube lights yesterday and we went to pick a new one up + fixtures today but they didn't have any of the ones we were looking for. A friend recommended MVB to me so we went for that instead..
Acadia 80W MVB
I only just read about risk of pyramiding?
is this something that only applies to babies? Colin is 15 now so he's not growing much (if at all)
Should this be a concern? I am aware the bulbs don't have a good rep for lasting longer than 3 months, which is a bit annoying but my biggest concern is the pyramiding. Any thoughts?
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. No growth = No pyramiding. A 15 year old tortoise isn't going to grow much, so pyramiding really isn't a concern any longer.

What is a concern is that dome of these bulbs produce way too much UV, while others produce none at all. The only way to know is to put a UV meter under it and check.

The basking area should be closer to 36 directly under the bulb.