MVB on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lori J

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I just bought a MVB on Ebay for 27 bucks.:D They are easy to find on there. It's the Zoo Med brand. So far so good. Just thought I would try to save you all money. These balbs are 80 dollars in the stores.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
RE: MVP on Ebay

Do you mean MVB? And you need to be very careful on Ebay. What exactly did you buy?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington

That sounds about the right price for online. Only Petco and such sell them so overpriced. You can now get a (better) T-Rex for $25 too, a new model.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI

You got a link Kate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've noticed the manufacturers and marketers are really muddying the waters with the bulb situation. There are only a few bulb types that do what we need to be done for our tortoises. It seems a lot of these cheaper bulbs have very similar names and descriptions, but some of them are just expensive incandescent bulbs and aren't giving the tortoise the UV that they absolutely need.

Lori, Could you post a pic of the package, showing the label, so we can see exactly what you got. It would be great if we could all start saving money on the UVB bulbs, but we all need to be sure we are comparing apples to apples.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
100 Watt new T-Rex for $19.99 here: http://www.joshsfrogs.com/product/46074/123/t-rex-uv-heat-100-watt

$25.99 here: http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=2822 (and they still list the older one for $51.45).

I would love more info on this bulb as I'm confused why they are selling it for half the cost and I haven't found any info besides these two sites selling it. Oh, and what I meant by (better) was that I think the T-Rex is better than the Powersun, not that I think/know the new T-Rex is better than the old one. I don't have any info on this new T-Rex one and am actually holding off on buying it until I have info (and I don't need any bulbs now).

The only bulbs I would ever consider buying are 1) T-Rex and 2) Mega Ray, because this site puts out good research on them: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercuryvapourlamps.htm The Powersun would be my third choice if 1) and 2) weren't available. The other brands I haven't seen research on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These are different than the normal UVBs that we all refer to. Those are called "Active UV Heat" bulbs. In this new one they dropped the word "Active" and about $40 off the price. They've got to be two different things. I've personally used the "Active UV Heat" bulbs to bring animals out of MBD in the middle of winter. I KNOW they work. I don't know about this new kind.

I just want everyone to realize these are two different products.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I was told by Josh at Josh's Frogs this was just a new version of the Active UV Heat, they changed the name to UV Heat, and they are able to offer it at a great price as the manufacturer is offering it at a great price to entice people to try it. It still provides UVB and appears to be comparable, but I haven't seen any detailed info on it. Only thing I've noticed so far is that neither site mentions the typical 6 month manufacturer's warranty. Not sure if this bulb comes with it or not.

dragnikla

5 Year Member
owings mills, MD
tortoisenerd said:
I was told by Josh at Josh's Frogs this was just a new version of the Active UV Heat, they changed the name to UV Heat, and they are able to offer it at a great price as the manufacturer is offering it at a great price to entice people to try it. It still provides UVB and appears to be comparable, but I haven't seen any detailed info on it. Only thing I've noticed so far is that neither site mentions the typical 6 month manufacturer's warranty. Not sure if this bulb comes with it or not.

I thought these were the ones that output uvb that a tortoise would get in the shade, and the active heat is the full sun. Does anyone know for sure. I thought the cheaper price was because it put out less uvb. Is there anywhere I can get the t-rex active heat for less than $45 online?

Status
Not open for further replies.