My 2 year old Russian is displaying his penis for the first time and I'm not sure what to do?

Location (City and/or State)
Kent
Hi, my two year old tortoise (the first one i have ever owned) is regularly standing up taller and when I pick him up his penis is hanging out, I am not sure what this means because I have read the other threads and it talks about a range of things from prolapses and sexual activity and I am not sure what applies here! He is a Russian tortoise and I have had him for over a year now, he hasn't shown any signs of bad health before so i'm a bit confused why he does it so much, I am new to this though so it could just be a regular thing.

Sorry if the image isn't great because of all the dirt but it looks the same as the others on the forum, please can somebody tell me why this is happening?

unnamed (3).jpgunnamed (2).jpg

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It would only be considered a prolapse only if your tortoise couldn't retract the organ. Generally speaking, prolapses with male tortoises aren't usually their penis (although possible), it is usually their urinary bladder or colon. Extending their penis doesn't necessary imply sexual activity either. Male tortoises will often fully extend when expelling wastes too.
Based on the photo I would consider changing the substrate to something other than coconut coir which clings to everything moist. There is potential of infection when he withdraws his penis and all of that fiber and dust is clinging to him. That is far less likely with a bark mulch or soil based substrate.

Kent
Ok, thanks I think your right about the extension when he wants to expel wastes because that is mainly when it happens I'll look into the substrate as well because their is a lot of dirt that clings on.