Tortoise Penis?!

LeighBear_

Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hello guys

I have a horsefield whom is aged approximately 1 and a half - 2 years old (I've had the tortoise for just under a year and a half).

Today I had an odd experience. I was soaking my tortoise and it dirtied the water so I picked my tort up to change the water and as i lifted the tortoise I noticed something hanging out of its tail, I thought it was the toilet but it looked odd so took a closer look. The only way I can describe what I saw is that it looked as if my tortoise insides were coming out the tail! I panicked but then a big flow of urine came out and the thing disappeared back into the tail. I have never seen this happen before.

Is this my tortoises penis?! I have been reading that you can't really determine the sex of a tortoise till they are a bit older...I am worried incase there is something wrong as its still quite young. Should I be worried or is this normal?

Any information would be great and much appreciated!
Thank you for taking the time to read x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's probably what it was. A lot of times, right about the time he gets to be sexually mature, the penis comes out a lot. Usually when pooping, but sometimes they put it out to play with. If it comes out and doesn't go back in, that's the time to worry. Otherwise, its all good.