My attempt at an enclosure****

Wartortle

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California (Simi Valley)
I made this with extra 2x4 that my dad let me use :) I added ice plant, stone plant (or something like that) and my large aloe Vera plant. I hope my Russians like this!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 175

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
"Attempt" I'd say thats pretty good. I would only suggest that the hide not be against the wall as it could be used as a stair and then they might get out, but since its against the wall there shouldn't be a problem. This is a great enclosure! And im sure they will love all that soft dirt

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know those plants, but the enclosure looks great. Does it get sun at some part of the day? You better watch and make sure they can't get on top of each other and climb out. The sides seem a little low. Even though its against a wall, I could also foresee them climbing the aloe plant and then shimmying along the top over to the edge. Russians are legendary escape artists!

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I guess I didn't clarify that well, they could use the hide as a stair to get out if its on the enclosure wall, but since its against the house wall there shouldn't be a problem

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well done! That looks very nice.
Why don't you put a piece of wood (1x4 or 2x4) across each short end. That way you block the corners, one of Russians favorite spots to shimmy out.
Nice and roomy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
"Russians" how many will occupy this space? How old /large are they each?

I like it...if it were me I would add a couple potted/shady plants in the center to offer hiding canopy....

Does the location get direct sun during each day for long?

Wartortle

Southern California (Simi Valley)
tortoise5643 said:
"Attempt" I'd say thats pretty good. I would only suggest that the hide not be against the wall as it could be used as a stair and then they might get out, but since its against the wall there shouldn't be a problem. This is a great enclosure! And im sure they will love all that soft dirt

Im thinking about adding a small "lip" at an upward 45 degree angle to prevent any escape from happening at any point in the enclosure. Sound like it would work? We do it to prevent our cats from leaving the yard, so maybe?

Tom said:
I don't know those plants, but the enclosure looks great. Does it get sun at some part of the day? You better watch and make sure they can't get on top of each other and climb out. The sides seem a little low. Even though its against a wall, I could also foresee them climbing the aloe plant and then shimmying along the top over to the edge. Russians are legendary escape artists!

Thanks! I'll add something more to prevent escape. The plants were all found on thetortoistable.org.uk so I think they will be acceptable.

lynnedit said:
Well done! That looks very nice.
Why don't you put a piece of wood (1x4 or 2x4) across each short end. That way you block the corners, one of Russians favorite spots to shimmy out.
Nice and roomy.

Gonna do something very very close to this :) my Russians aren't going anywhere!

ascott said:
"Russians" how many will occupy this space? How old /large are they each?

I like it...if it were me I would add a couple potted/shady plants in the center to offer hiding canopy....

Does the location get direct sun during each day for long?

Two Russians will occupy this space. They are both sub adults around 4.5 inches. I'll definitely take up your idea and get some potted plants. Would you put them in the enclosure? Would that take up too much space? The location is half shaded through most of the day by trees that surround the property. When the sun is lower near dark though, this area has full sun, so I will add some more shade just in case.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I missed the plural part ;)
But hey, it looks like an easy build, make another one and let each Russian rule their own kingdom :D