My baby died!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erimis

5 Year Member
I dont know what happened to my girl, she went very quickly. I posted last week that I thought she might have respiratory infection, but she didnt have eye/nasal discharge. Just an incident of foaming after being in tub.
I'm worried about my other 4, but they all seem fine and are either gaining weight or holding weight.
Could her being on her back under the basking light for at least 4 hours have done it?
Im really sad, she was my favorite (and the prettiest!)
I feel like I didn't do enough. I really only separated her from the others.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So, so, sorry:( it's possible most likely probable that four hours on her back under the light did it. Was that just recently though? I would think that should would have died under the light not later on. Don't blame yourself. Sometimes these things happen and we either can't see it, can't do anything about it, or just have no idea anything is wrong.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Oh, no! How sad... I seem to remember that foaming at the mouth is a sign of overheating and/or severe dehydration, so if it was after being upside down under the light for so long, that was likely the cause. :(

Erimis

5 Year Member
It was 2 weeks ago that she was flipped twice, once under the light and once in the moist hide. She was never quite right after that. She had always been very active, ate well. Consistently gaining weight until about 2 weeks ago. The foamy thing happened during her soak, she tucked her head in and started blowing bubbles, I grabbed her out of there and she was a bit foamy and gaspy. Never saw anything after that. Just didnt do much. She still looks good, if she didnt have a slight smell I would think she is not quite dead. But no reaction to anything I do.
I think I might take an xray to see if there is anything obvious. Not that I or my doc know anything about torts medically. I just want answers even though I know I won't ever know for sure.

Erimis

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! I did take x rays, but not real certain on interpretation. It looks like her left lung collapsed or some pneumonia. But can't be certain it isn't post mortem changes.
I wish I would've done xrays last week.
And what does one do with a deceased hatchling? I dont really want to bury her as we will be moving next year.

Erimis

5 Year Member
I am going to call about cremation tomorrow. I used the 'clay paws' kit to make a shell impression, turned out very nice
I'm glad this forum is available , even my husband doesn't understand why I'm so upset.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I'm so very sorry! I know my husband wouldn't understand either. He doesn't understand when it's a cat or dog! I can only imagine the heartbreak you are going through. It's harder to not even know what happened...and knowing there is nothing you could have done doesn't help either. I can only offer sympathy to you. I am so sorry for your lose. :(

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to loose a beloved pet.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I'm sorry. Foaming at the mouth and rapid decline, was the tort exposed to any new plants? It could be poison from fertilizers or something of that nature.

Erimis

5 Year Member
Allegraf- There is a tiny jade plant in with them, they seem to trample it more than eat it. The only other new foods this month are opuntia- they dont really like it, and Mazuri- which they love!!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Sorry to hear this. I think that a collapsed lung would certainly be consistant with being upside down for that long. Unfortunately, the damage was done, and it just declined from there. The jade is edible.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Sorry about your loss. I know how easy it is to get attached to something like this.

Out of curiosity, was it another tort that kept flipping it over, and how do you know it was under the light upside down for 4 hours?

Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.