Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yup.

Nip it in the bud and get that baby into a humid closed chamber.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes it is. Here is the care info and how to stop it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Most of the care info out in the world for this species is wrong. It ws based on incorrect assumptions about how they live in the wild decades ago and has been repeated ever since. Read the threads above and then come back and hit us with all your questions.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
After reading Tom's links make changes with regards to humidity and Heat or your tortoise we'll end up like my rescue

Attachments

• IMG_20150907_141348.jpg
    IMG_20150907_141348.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23

Subhan

indonesia
I keep the sulcata indoor. Uses uva & uvb for 10-12 hours each day.
*temperature & humi:
-cool area (cave)= 26°c - 27°c / 80%
-basking area= (day) 30°c - 33°c / 50-55%
(Night) 27°c - 28°c / 70%

But my sulcata is rarely in the cave, he only passes for a while. When the day he was often in the basking area, at night he was in the middle of both areas. I spray water 4-6x a day.
Looks like the humidity in the basking area during the day is too low huh?Can I turn on uva & uvb only 5 hours when noon until late afternoon? Just for him sunbathing and moisture in the morning can be 70% or more.
Later I will upload photo tortoise table

Ty yvonne g & tom

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That substrate looks way too dry. It needs mixing with water in a jug so it is all damp. You need a roof over the enclosure to hold in the humidity.

There's no apparent water bowl - a terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate so the rim is level with the surface makes a great water bowl. Surround it with stones to stop the substrate being dragged in..

A piece of flat rock or slate is a better food plate as the rough surface helps keep the beak in shape.

The plants can be put in the enclosure. Sink the pot into the substrate for best results; don't remove the pot.

The basking lamp needs to point down vertically so you get the right temperature underneath it. It is better to hang the lamp than trust any kind of clamp or mechanism like yours not to collapse; it's less of a fire risk.

Sorry the above sounds awful, but you really do need to take on board what Tom says about the importance of closed chamber humidity for a young tort.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I don't see any temperature/hygrometers. If you invest in one of these that I've attached below if not two of them you will see that your temperatures aren't as high as you think not unless your whole room is 27c or more degrees at all times. Same with humidity. Temperature and humidity don't stay in one location heat rises should never put your tort on the floor obviously. A piece of plexiglass over the top would be best. Other than that it looks really nice (for now) sulcatas will grow fast. Lockdown your temperatures before you start playing with humidity. High humidity and low temperatures equals respiratory infection. Low humidity and low temperatures won't make them sick but it'll make them bumpy/pyramided. It's better to have a pyramided tort then a sick one so, again, lockdown your temperatures before you play with your humidity. When you get the plexiglass on top the interior of the enclosure should be wet.

Subhan

indonesia
I have hygrometer & water bowl. I thought I would try to build a closed cage to keep the temperature and humidity. Thank you all for your advice.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
What I did with my babies was look on Craigslist for the biggest fish tank I can find. And then I went to a hardware store and bought plexiglass and had it cut there to tje right size. I hung a CHE in the middle for night-time Heat. I have Burmese mountain tortoises so I didn't need a basking spot. But one could be added right next to the CHE and only run one at a time. My tank was a 200 gallon. I got lucky to find the tank and stand for $700. I mounted the dirt around the glass so they wouldn't be able to see out as easily and they didn't have any problem with the glass. If they had I would have just put a piece of paper on the outside of the glass at the bottom all the way around. My tortoises are three years old now and look great! Thanks to all the people on this forum!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-28-19-57-18.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-28-19-57-18.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10