Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
terryo said:
Saloli (what is your name?)

I'm not Saloli, but I know the answer...Saloli IS his name and so is William.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Saloli (Squirrel in Tsalagi [Cherokee]) is one of two names i have William (Christian name) is the other. I'm a mestizo. the reason i asked if you guys had boxers there was i wasn't sure, i've never been there. and with the way people tend to like building on islands i wasn't sure how much of the forest was left. The ones that live with me are Atsila Daksi (4 just about years) she was found by a friend at a construction site in october her nest was dug up. Franklin (~3 years) was found in a mall parking lot in baltimore city, Selu Daksi (unknown age adult) is a long term captive who was living in someone's house with out a uv or heat lamp and eating chicken. Shelly is also a long term captive I don't remember much of her story but the people who had her before would not spend the money to keep her alive long term. Dotty is a long term captive who was passed around at a company before one of the people brought her to me. Last but not least is Shelden(unkown age adult) who was picked up by someone who didn't know what he was and was not going to give him proper care and could not return him (i don't remember why though). oh one question has any one ever gotten their boxers to eat zoomed canned box turtle food?

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
terryo,
Might be an expensive robbery. I'm in California!

Neal,
It's interesting you say 2 years. That's exactly what it's been for me. Some of my boxies habituated right away, but most went through roughly a 2 year period where they could be fine for a while, then get sick (ear infection, swollen eyes, sit in one place for weeks and weeks, etc.) I wormed them all, soaked them, monkeyed with their sprinkler timings, installed misters for the hottest parts of the day, wormed them again, installed pond filters, uv sterilyzers, moved them out of the sun, out of the shade, into the water, weighed them religiously, and so on. Much of that was probably good for them, except the handling. It stressed new turtles out. I still have some that are very suspicious of me and won't move when I come near. They just sit and watch me. I learned they sit in the sun to fight infection, and or parasites, and the moving stressed them more, making stress induced illness worse. I think I'm finally out of the woods, although I still have a few that need to continue gaining weight. I'll know for sure this season. I changed to a prepared food last summer, and it was much easier than I thought.
In contrast, tortoises are a cinch for me so far. But I still like my EBT's, even thought they're harder work.

Steve

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Ok so now I am confused. Is it okay to keep different types of boxies together?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Angi said:
Ok so now I am confused. Is it okay to keep different types of boxies together?

Depends on what you mean by ok.

I've heard arguments that tortoises kept together from different regions MAY catch some diseases from each other. I've never heard that argument against box turtles probably because the most common (triungus and carolina) for some part come from the same areas of the United States and require similar habitat. I'll tell you I have kept large amounts of both together and never had an issue...but that's just my experience.

Another issue people have, like what was mentioned in this thread, is integrated breeding. That, as I mentioned, is really a matter of opinion.

For the most part, N.A. boxies have similar temperments so as far as that goes it would be a matter of numbers and sexes rather than sub species.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I guess by okay I meant not harmful. Just wondering because if I ever finish building my turtle garden I could see another boxie in my future.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
bigts1.jpg

This one was burried, still looking for more.

turtlee1.jpg

moreturts0051.jpg

ym1.jpg

I've dug all around and this is all I could come up with. None of these seem to do them justice...

Well, here's one last treat for everyone. This was not mine, but from a friend back in my box turtle days.

super1.jpg

Super.jpg

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Wow! Fantastic, vibrant colors! No other turtle looks as stunning as a high color EBT! Hope they are passing on their genes with your friend! Thanks for posting them.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
one question has any one ever gotten their boxers to eat zoomed canned box turtle food?
Saloli....When it's snowing outside and I can't get to the store for worms, and other boxie food...this is great in a pinch. I always keep some cans on hand. If I have any escarole, or dandelion, or some other green, I will mix it in with the zoo med and some mushrooms....they love it. They also love mazuri mixed up with greens or fruit.

Neal that male three Toed is stunning as is the high yellow Eastern boxie. I can't wait til all my juvies grow up so I can see what they'll look like as adults.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Saloli said:
oh one question has any one ever gotten their boxers to eat zoomed canned box turtle food?

Are you talking about the dry pellets, or is there a wet type of canned box turtle food? I fed mine the pellet type as a staple part of their diet, not sure if it was zoomed or not.

supremelysteve said:
Wow! Fantastic, vibrant colors! No other turtle looks as stunning as a high color EBT! Hope they are passing on their genes with your friend! Thanks for posting them.

I still have his email, I'll give it a try and see what he's up to...been a few years though.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It's in a can and it's moist and has veggies, fruit...etc. Sometimes as a treat I give the rest of the can to Pio. She loves it.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Neal your boxies are so pretty. My Trudy.....Well Trudy has a few battle scars. And she isn't very colorful.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Neal your boxies are so pretty. My Trudy.....Well Trudy has a few battle scars. And she isn't very colorful.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Angi said:

Awww....her battle scars add expression to her and just make her more beautiful. These babies are special.:)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Wow, I thought that I had a nice male until I saw the spectacular one of your friends. Great pics, keep 'em coming.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
yeah the only one I know that will touch the canned is Shelly she will eat just about anything except porta bella mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.