My dog injured a tortoise on my property HELP!!

jennyb72

Location (City and/or State)
Hawthorne
Hello I live in Hawthorne Florida and we have many turtle holes on the property and I have tried to teach both my dogs they are NOT FOOD or TOYS. Sadly my 10 mo old pitty seems to think otherwise. Today he got a hold of another turtle and this time I did not catch him in time. He chewed a whole thru the top of his shell. The poor thing looks like he is still hiding in his shell. He does move when I try to check and see if he is alive. It just happened about 2 hours ago and I don't want to keep adding to his trauma today. I put him in a tote with sand and some lettuce sliced tomato and just want him to calm down and relax before I attempt to clean and check his wounds. Does not look like my dog got a good bite in to him? There is not much blood maybe scapes but he does have a big hole. I did just check on him again and he was kind of coming out of his shell till he saw me and tucked back in. I have an old duck cage I could also put him in so he can be in the grass but also protected. I want to help him but also don't want my help to injure him further. A lot of people around here eat them and I don't want to put him out and hope for the best I rather he be well and take off on his own. Any help is appreciated Thank you

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi I think your referring to wild tortoise who roam in your yard and your dog has chewed one. Firstly I would get a clean high sided container of warm shallow water and put the tortoise in and let it wallow for around 30 mins in a shady place. Gently wash the area impacted with clean water. Please share pics so we can re assess but I would then fill the hole with savalon or antiseptic ointment and put a plaster over it as this will stop flys laying eggs = maggots. Keep it safe and if required find a local rescue for advise.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Sometimes a plaster is not recommended, but it really depends on the injury. If a plaster can't be used, then you definitely have to take the tortoise indoors on paper towels to protect the wound. I agree with contacting a rescue.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Call FWC, see here: https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/wildlife/gopher-tortoise/

REPORT SICK, INJURED OR DEAD GOPHER TORTOISES TO THE FWC!​

Sick or injured tortoise: On weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., please call (850) 921-1030. After hours and on weekends, call the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's toll-free Wildlife Alert hotline at (888) 404-3922, or use #FWC or *FWC on your cell phone.
Dead tortoise: Report sightings of dead gopher tortoises on FWC’s mortality web application and provide information on cause of mortality, if known.
Please report illegal activities or potential tortoise violations to FWC’s Wildlife Alert hotline at (888) 404-3922.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Call FWC, see here: https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/wildlife/gopher-tortoise/

Sick or injured tortoise: On weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., please call (850) 921-1030. After hours and on weekends, call the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's toll-free Wildlife Alert hotline at (888) 404-3922, or use #FWC or *FWC on your cell phone.
Dead tortoise: Report sightings of dead gopher tortoises on FWC’s mortality web application and provide information on cause of mortality, if known.
Please report illegal activities or potential tortoise violations to FWC’s Wildlife Alert hotline at (888) 404-3922.
Thanks dd33, for that info.
@jennyb72 is it a gopher tortoise? Pictures would help, if it is a wild tortoise/turtle. Let Florida Wild and Game handle it.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I agree with the two above. Contact FWC right away. Even if the animal is a turtle and not a gogher tortoise. At the least they can stear you in the right direction to really get help for the animal. If there's an actual puncture wound it may take a long time to heal.

jennyb72

Hawthorne

Thank you everyone I am totally not equip to handle this, I don't want him destroyed and I am so sad he might not make it on his own. He seems to not be able to use his front left leg but all others are working he is up moving around my pool area like crazy probably looking to get out. :( I will call the number and hopes someone can call back in the morning. It is after 6 here.