My experience with two very special three toed box turtle eggs

Denny1st

Location (City and/or State)
USA
So long story short, I found two box turtle eggs next to their dead mother on the road in front of my house. I took them indoors, cleaned them up and I incubated them and to my surprise they actually hatched. They are doing great, eating well. Hiding a lot. They're just very special turtles to me.

More detailed story

On June 6th I was driving home from a short hike at my local lake. As I pulled onto my road, and l I was nearing my driveway, i noticed something peculiar. A fairly flattened dead box turtle on the road. I knew for a fact it wasn't there when I left for the lake no more than a couple of hours prior. So I parked my car in my drive and went to examine it.

It was a sad sight to see for sure. I even saw all the eggs inside her were crushed beyond saving... Or I thought that was all of them... There was what I thought was just guts at first about a foot away from her... But then I realized they were actually the female's turtles reproductive organs with two eggs still inside. I believed they must've shot out of her when she was ran over, far enough away to be safely away from the tires..

I immediately ran inside, put on my last latex glove, and grabbed a pair of scissors. I then came back out to the scene and cut the eggs free and brought them indoors .. I then proceeded to carefully remove the organ from the eggs with an xacto knife, then wiped them clean gently with a damp paper towel. I grabbed some incubation media, dampened it, and started incubating at 77 f daytime temps give or take. (Sidenote- I had everything on hand that I needed to incubate eggs, as I used to breed and incubate crested and leopard geckos years ago. I'm glad I never got rid of those supplies.)

Anyways I really wasn't expecting anything to happen... My hopes definitely weren't through the roof. I knew the odds were low.. But, sure enough, against all odds and after only a few days of incubating, they started "chalking" or turning white from the top downwards. I immediately knew I had healthy, fertile eggs. And I had hope.

I decided I'd dig out my old reptibator incubator out of storage since I knew they were viable eggs. I figured that would give them a more controlled environment to develop... I incubated for females at around 85 f and 90% relative humidity..... And two months later they finally hatched. And they're the cutest things I've ever seen.... Two healthy little three toed box turtles.

Anyways it really was quite the journey, for them and for me. And I'm still kinda left scratching my head a bit. But man o man am I happy with these little ladies. Their names Kismet and Kōan!

I just thought you guys would appreciate this interesting story plus I may need advice for them in the future from this forum. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_8211.jpg
    IMG_8211.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220615_102311_447.jpg
    IMG_20220615_102311_447.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220606_184454_098_1.jpg
    IMG_20220606_184454_098_1.jpg
    905.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220606_214729.jpg
    IMG_20220606_214729.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220822_135706573.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220822_135706573.MP.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220822_135907266.jpg
    PXL_20220822_135907266.jpg
    777.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8166.jpg
    IMG_8166.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220822_135740888.jpg
    PXL_20220822_135740888.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

zolasmum

5 Year Member
So long story short, I found two box turtle eggs next to their dead mother on the road in front of my house. I took them indoors, cleaned them up and I incubated them and to my surprise they actually hatched. They are doing great, eating well. Hiding a lot. They're just very special turtles to me.
They are lovely - congratulations -you really did turn up in the right place at the right time !!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Wonderful story. I have a 3 toed named Nugget. She's definitely our sassiest shellpuppy.

Denny1st

USA
Wonderful story. I have a 3 toed named Nugget. She's definitely our sassiest shellpuppy.
That's awesome haha. I've heard three toeds can have great personalities. I look forward to knowing these ladies a bit more too

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yeah, that was a gruesome story.......really gruesome.......but super-cool too!

Interesting how things happen.....and two little guys to show for it!

Congrats

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
How great for those babies. Without you saving them they probably would have gotten smooshed too.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Thank you for sharing this incredible story! Your miracle babies are adorable! 🥰

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Do you know how much they each weigh? They look great.

Denny1st

USA
Do you know how much they each weigh? They look great.
Yes, the small one is 89 grams and the big one is over 130 grams. My current kitchen gram scale can no longer weigh the big one, she's over the maximum. I'm open to gram scale recommendations, lol

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I have a desert box turtle, Paxton is almost a year old. He weighs over 145g. I use to have a three toed, she had a great personality, very friendly. It is very exciting to see that they are doing so well. Congratulations. I bought my scale on Amazon. Cheap

Denny1st

USA
I have a desert box turtle, Paxton is almost a year old. He weighs over 145g. I use to have a three toed, she had a great personality, very friendly. It is very exciting to see that they are doing so well. Congratulations. I bought my scale on Amazon. Cheap
Sounds good, I'll take a look at them on Amazon, thanks. Yeah they're both very friendly, although the small one, Kōan is more gentle, introverted and a bit lazy. Her big sis Kismet is crazy active, not shy of anybody, and has a voracious appetite. They're both really unique personalities.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Do they share an enclosure? Can turtles can get along better together than tortoises?

Denny1st

USA
Do they share an enclosure? Can turtles can get along better together than tortoises?
They used to, but I decided they were getting too big to cohabitate. They're each in their own 50 gallon tubs for now. They're not really social critters and I noticed they actually eat better separately.. anyways I've plans to move them to spacious outdoor enclosures with secure lids as soon as they can seal themselves in their shells. The racoons in my neighborhood are menaces and I don't trust them!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I get worried about the opossum 's here. That and snakes. Congratulations again they are wonderful