My first tortoise, Tobias the Tortle, a Sulcata

MarnieB

Location (City and/or State)
Broken Arrow, ok
I live in Tulsa and adopted Tobias from a friend’s sister in San Antonio. We have had each other for 5 months and he was two months old when he came to live with me. We has gone from 70 grams to 123 grams. I have read in this forum about so many helpful things, but I can’t find information about how his shell should look at this stage and also if he is growing at the proper rate. I am planning on building a fully enclosed box as soon as I can, but keep his terra cotta house close to 80% when he inside. Am I a good momma so far?1EEE2447-6F7A-41D8-AA10-641A591749A7.jpeg3FC14BD2-0A98-4620-A9B5-F0C99AEF50FA.jpegC8A0669E-EF92-4B40-B433-AA750DF499EB.jpeg

Attachments

• 2917403F-4543-4E41-86D9-8B63BF4529CB.jpeg
    2917403F-4543-4E41-86D9-8B63BF4529CB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully @Tom can help you out with your enclosure. What substrate are you using? Cute tortoise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You really need to make some changes ASAP. Please read the care sheet and search for the enclosed chamber thread.
If I can get to them I will link them here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Tulsa and adopted Tobias from a friend’s sister in San Antonio. We have had each other for 5 months and he was two months old when he came to live with me. We has gone from 70 grams to 123 grams. I have read in this forum about so many helpful things, but I can’t find information about how his shell should look at this stage and also if he is growing at the proper rate. I am planning on building a fully enclosed box as soon as I can, but keep his terra cotta house close to 80% when he inside. Am I a good momma so far?View attachment 354961View attachment 354960View attachment 354959
Your enclosure looks very nice and it is obvious that you care for this little baby very much. Unfortunately, you can't keep the conditions correct in an open topped enclosure. They need warm humid monsoon conditions. The whole enclosure should be over 80% humidity, and the the humid hide should be 100%, or close to it.

Open fronted flower pots don't make good hides. They let all the humidity out.

You also need a much larger enclosure now.

The bits of gravel and pebbles need to be removed ASAP before he swallows them and gets impacted.

Read the thread the Wellington left for you, and this one too:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to you and your little tortoise! He is adorable. Please take all the great advice you have been given, to make sure your little one stays beautiful and grows healthy!

MarnieB

Broken Arrow, ok
Your enclosure looks very nice and it is obvious that you care for this little baby very much. Unfortunately, you can't keep the conditions correct in an open topped enclosure. They need warm humid monsoon conditions. The whole enclosure should be over 80% humidity, and the the humid hide should be 100%, or close to it.

The bits of gravel and pebbles need to be removed ASAP before he swallows them and gets impacted.

Thank you for the valuable information

Thank you so much for all of the advice. I put the washcloth over the opening last n

Thank you for all of the advice and links. It's a lot to soak in, but I want to do all I can to take the best care of my little friend. I am so happy that I found this forum. I will try and find a friend willing to help me build a proper enclosure. I found someone nearby selling large used shipping crates, maybe I could start with one of those. The white bits are gypsum from organic soil with no fertilizer that I bought at a weed shop after following someone's advice. I will replace with orchid bark. Last night I draped the washrag over the opening and the humidity was almost 100% when I checked this morning. That will help until I build an enclosure. I searched online and only found plans for enclosures that are open. I guess I will have to come up with my own. How long is the 80-100% humidity important, until fully grown? I wish I could find shell progression photos of healthy babies for comparison. I took him/her to the only exotic vet in our area for a check up and to get advice early on. I felt like I knew more than they did about tortoises and they gave me a printout with bad advice, apparently. I am soooo glad I found this forum. Thank YOU!IMG_9266.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
He is starting to pyramid already. He needs a closed chamber with 85% or more humidity. You cannot achieve what is needed in an open top enclosure. Don't just read the care sheets...change his enclosure now...or he will grow to look like this...100_2925.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Read over all the info and then read it again and write down all the important stuff in-between the filler words. That's how I found it easier to take it in when I joined, because it is a lot
Then if you need any help or clarification come back and ask. We will do everything possible to help you out.

MarnieB

Broken Arrow, ok
Welcome to you and your little tortoise! He is adorable. Please take all the great advice you have been given, to make sure your little one stays beautiful and grows healthy!
He is starting to pyramid already. He needs a closed chamber with 85% or more humidity. You cannot achieve what is needed in an open top enclosure. Don't just read the care sheets...change his enclosure now...or he will grow to look like this...View attachment 355001
Do you know where I can find plans to build one? I’m going to get a wooden crate tomorrow until I can build something better.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
HI and welcome,
The threads will help you provide everything he needs and avoid or correct common and expensive mistakes. If you follow those he will thrive and please ask as many questions as you like.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you know where I can find plans to build one? I’m going to get a wooden crate tomorrow until I can build something better.
This should help:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/building-your-own-expanded-pvc-enclosed-chamber-–-for-beginners.159220/

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Enjoy your new tortoise and welcome to the forum. As mentioned the care you give it from now and over the forthcoming years is imperative. Your aiming for a healthy, hydrated and smooth shelled tortoise. I recommend regular soaks in a high sided container, correct diet, correct heat, light, substrate, humidity and space. Weight weekly and enjoy. Over the years you will need space as they are known as bulldozers

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I live in Tulsa and adopted Tobias from a friend’s sister in San Antonio. We have had each other for 5 months and he was two months old when he came to live with me. We has gone from 70 grams to 123 grams. I have read in this forum about so many helpful things, but I can’t find information about how his shell should look at this stage and also if he is growing at the proper rate. I am planning on building a fully enclosed box as soon as I can, but keep his terra cotta house close to 80% when he inside. Am I a good momma so far?View attachment 354961View attachment 354960View attachment 354959
A very warm welcome to the forum.

A cute little tort. God bless.