my G/F got a cat, so that means I had to build a Topper for my enclosure. [PIC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vacaville, CA
I just went down to Lowes and grabbed 20 feet of 1 1/2" x 3/4" soft wood, like pine (NO BIRCH! I made that mistake, and it was expensive) and a roll of generic metal mesh, and 2 sets of small hobby hinges. Total bill at the register was under $20.

A quick sketch of how I wanted it to function, and some measuring, sawing, nailing together, black high gloss paint, some tin snips to cut the mesh to fit, then a cheap staple gun to fasten it, and there we go! the center bar is the only part that is fastened to the tub.

Before
TLXSI.jpg

After
bizQ4.jpg

The other benefit of this topper is that now I don't have to have the heat lamps clipped onto the side of the tub, but instead sit directly on top, which is more efficient.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
That's quite a few spray bottles you've got there. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looks nice. Could you do a close up of how the lid actually fits on it? You did also attach those lights, so they cat can't rub against them and knock it off?

I am always looking for new ideas for lids with all our cats. Between their weight, as they land on the wire and then the side ways jump onto the lids and moving the lids sideways if not attached, it can be a challenge. :D

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
I haven't secured the lamps yet, but I have a webcam on the enclosure, so I can see if something happens. My main concern is to not make the lamps all the way permanent on the lid, so that raising that half of the lid would still be easy. Any ideas?

I'll snap some close up pics tomorrow for you guys

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would try zipties somehow. They are clean and easy to replace.

One thing I noticed though is that I don't know it all the UV is getting through that mesh or not?

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
The mesh is much more open than it looks from the angle in the picture, it definitely lights up the whole side of the enclosure the way it's set up.

I forgot to mention that I also had to move the webcam into the inside of the enclosure, since it was mounted on the tub's brim before, and it doesn't work too well when it's above the mesh. so now I have a tort height view of them while I'm at work, or out of town

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
My g/f got them for like $0.50 each, so I just kept them hanging there until they were all empty, then would fill them all at once. Now I just have one bottle and a watering can.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I drill small holes around the rim of the light, and zip tie it right down to the wire mesh. If I need to move it or change the bulbs, I just cut the zip ties and replace them. I have 7 cats. I have to cover and secure EVERYTHING, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.