My Grass is Dieing!

Mmiller741

5 Year Member
Before my tortoise had full reign of the backyard, my grass was deep green and healthy. A nice combination of fertilizer, water, and sun was just working so well.

Now he has the whole backyard and I know the fertilizer is bad for him, so what can I use to get my grass back in shape? I'm in southern CA, so sun is no problem, water is becoming a problem, but my grass needs some nutrients.

What about coffee? Is that harmful to tortoises? Thanks so much.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Would compost tea work? I think it would be safe. Just read the ingredients carefully and maybe keep them off of it for a few days. I'm sure other people will chime in soon with ideas also.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size and species have you got? How large is the area?

If you say sulcata and its a backyard, you are done. Your efforts will be futile. You will need to close off sections and let them regrow without being trampled and eaten.

Mmiller741

5 Year Member
Thanks leigti, I'll look into it.

Tom, he is a sulcata and yup, he rules the back yard. I have several different types of grass so he tends to stick to those areas. He is about 2' from head to tail and has about 2,500 sqft to play in. His favorite areas are over eaten, but the rest of the yard just needs some help. ;-) I know a lot of it is the amount of water I'm using, my water bill is half of what it was last summer due to watering restrictions.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yep. Your gorgeous grass days could be gone! My sulcata devours everything in her path, treating her yard greens less than kindly. You could try making an organic compost, that would be safe.