Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
image-1540167723.png

Here's Franklin when I first got him, 11/27/11, when he was 6" and weighed 12oz

image-3363074951.png

This is him now. 9" and 2lbs 10oz.

I think the pyramiding that his shell was showing when I first got him has been smoothing out, and he's warmed up to me. I'm proud of myself for the way I've been taking care of him and I owe it all to the members of this forum! I do have a concern though. When I try to feed him grass he won't eat very much of it so his diet still consists mostly of cactus, yellow peppers, radishes, dandelion green and flowers, and mulberry leaves. His poo isn't runny, but it is soft. I just read in another post that can mean digestive problems are present. This, of course, worries me. I do put him in the lawn as much as possible because he will eat some grass out there, but still mostly clover flowers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Wow. He's a handsome fellow.

For the grass, I grab it by the clump and chop it up really really fine. Then I sprinkle the chopped pieces onto some pre-wetted greens and mix it all up. This should get him eating more grass over time. Start with just a little grass and gradually increase the amount of grass in proportion to the other stuff. There are also a lot more things you can be feeding him too. Look for more weeds, hibiscus leaves, grape leaves, and at the store endive is great, and spring mix from Costco gives a nice mix too. Tyler sells a great product called "Salad Style". It's basically orchard grass hay and Timothy hay that is finely maserated. You just wet your greens, sprinkle some Salad Style on top, mix it all up, and serve. Sounds like this product would be excellent for you and Franklin. Find Tyler at tortoisesupply.com

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Franklin is looking great. His start in life is very similar to my sulcata's. Mine doesn't seem to want to eat grass very much either. When I let him out of his pen to free roam the yard he is intent on exploring as much of the yard as he can. It's only after he is finished exploring (walking every perimeter several times) that he will even notice the grass. He will, however, stop to eat a flower or a hand fed treat. He goes for the dandelions or wild mustard or some of the other weeds in the yard, just not the grass. One of the things I have found recently to add a lot of fiber to his diet is timothy grass pellets. I got them from a friend that feeds them to his horses. Just add water and they rehydrate to about 4 times their original weight. I mix it with Mazuri (about a 50/50 mix) and my tort loves it. His poop, I might add, is firm, moist, and greenish-black in color.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Franklin is gorgeous!! He's about the same age as rose. He is smoothing out nicely. I understand how you feel proud about getting all your enclosures good and knowing your tort is happy. I feel proud everyone I add a weed or flower to my outdoor enclosure. I just know rose is just that much happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.