My Hatchling Ibera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montana USA
IMAG0326.jpgIMAG0328.jpgIMAG0327.jpgIMAG0325.jpgI thought I'd start this topic because I am taking up too much room in the Hello I'm New thread.

After the morning soak, where I kept a finger in the water to end the soak when the water felt a bit cool, I took some photos.

I praised my little guy for becoming alert.

No poop.

After the soak before he or she went back to its preferred activity, sleeping with his little head all the way out in the most trusting manner, I offered food.

No go on the food.

I did take a few photos that I think came out well.

I will try to attach them here if they don't attach I'll put them in the photo place.

Sally

Last edited by a moderator:

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Montana USA
IMAG0331.jpgIMAG0332.jpgIMAG0334.jpgShe ate food today! Yes, he rocks.

I am so glad this little guy, girl, ate some food! Yes!

Maybe I am a worry wart.

Here is the evidence. She's been off his food for about 3 maybe 4 days and very sleepy.

I am posting photos..

Sally

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When did you get her? She's very cute BTW. Anyway, if you have recently gotten her, give her some break in time before you panic. Some take upto a couple weeks to even a month before they are real comfy. They can go a little while also with out eating. Seems your over that hump now though seeing she finally decided she was hungry and you weren't going to eat her:D

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Montana USA
I got her in late July.

I had a box turtle for years and when she crossed this spring I thought I'd like to try a tort.

I knew it was going to be a whole different creature. I researched.

My son and daughter and I set up the tank long before I even found her or him.

The last few weeks our Montana nights have turned cool - cold - and tweaking the temps in the tank has been a major thing for us.

It was about five days ago that I noticed inactivity, updated the tube light because I knew we were not using a fresh one.. then added a basking light with the ceramic one for heat.

The preferred temperature high to low has me confused. I aim between 80 -90 but hear it is higher..

I have been keeping such a close eye on her with weekly weigh ins. Poop songs and even texting when these events happen... goofy right?

I called my daughter, my car is broken and alerted her to a possible vet run tomorrow if he doesn't eat soon!

She ate...

I really would love to know the gender of this fellow.

Thanks!
Sally

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Montana USA
Just an update.

I did not know a tort could pee so much. I gave her a nice warm soak. She or he drank water and was very alert and active.

Then I dried her off and reset the soak dish with a paper towel and fresh greens.

She ate and ate and ate and peed and ate and peed. It was the drying off and fresh towel that made this event observable to me.

No Who's the poopy tort song, today.

The smoke has lifted some so I took the little guy out to see the sunshine while I fed and watered the chickens.

We didn't stay long, the sunny spot is unprotected and I would hate to see a magpie or red tailed hawk swoop in and make him into a snack.

Now that she or he is more active again, I need to level out the substrate. While I was washing my hair he fell off a tiny cliff and onto her back. Poor thing...

And the water dish keeps being drained by the substrate coming into contact with it. Dry as a bone. Refill, dry as a bone. Any suggestions? Should I take a potted plant dish and use it instead?

Sally

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Sally Franklin Christie said:
Just an update.

I did not know a tort could pee so much. I gave her a nice warm soak. She or he drank water and was very alert and active.

Then I dried her off and reset the soak dish with a paper towel and fresh greens.

She ate and ate and ate and peed and ate and peed. It was the drying off and fresh towel that made this event observable to me.

No Who's the poopy tort song, today.

The smoke has lifted some so I took the little guy out to see the sunshine while I fed and watered the chickens.

We didn't stay long, the sunny spot is unprotected and I would hate to see a magpie or red tailed hawk swoop in and make him into a snack.

Now that she or he is more active again, I need to level out the substrate. While I was washing my hair he fell off a tiny cliff and onto her back. Poor thing...

And the water dish keeps being drained by the substrate coming into contact with it. Dry as a bone. Refill, dry as a bone. Any suggestions? Should I take a potted plant dish and use it instead?

Sally

I use the small plant dish thing myself. I also found some other ceramic dish at the .99 cent store. I have 2 waters in mine as a back up. Seems to work a little better.

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Montana USA
This morning, the smoke is still clearing so I took her out for some sunshine. It is 50 out there but if you hold really still and stay in the sun it isn't bad.

I held her in my hand most of the time and he ate greens.

No poop song this morning during a soak, maybe tomorrow.

He is eating better and more active. I haven't seen it happen but she flips over. While she was at soak I leveled out the playing field and put in a second water.

I have returned her to her home. I did move the sunglow light toward the warmer end where he hangs out.

Birds eye view is cluttered.

Thanks for the reassurance I've been getting.

Sally

Status
Not open for further replies.