Is my RT dehydrated??

Beaula21

Hello!
We've had Loki about 4 weeks now and took him to the vet after week 2 and she said he looked a little dehydrated due to some excess/loose skin near his neck and legs. She said it might be because we weren't feeding him enough in addition to him not having a large enough water dish to soak him in. If it's not that he might have kidney issues.

We've since been feeding him a lot more (our boy can EAT!) and spraying water on his food as well as given him an additional shallow dish to soak in at his leisure. He also has a drinking bowl. We do soak him 3x weekly as well.

He does pee daily with urates, which leads me to believe he's getting enough water.

But now I have become concerned on my Loki's eyes. Do they look sunken?

I could just be a huge worry wort but I just don't want to be hurting my little guy!

Any advice?!?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406392649.351136.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406392672.566553.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
All tortoises have loose skin on their neck. That way they can pull their head in and the skin folds over itself. The way to tell if a tortoise is dehydrated is by the eyes. They look sunken in when dehydrated.

For a little while, sprinkle some water over his dinner when you feed him just to be sure he's getting some moisture, however, he doesn't look dehydrated to me.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
I would soak him more.... In addition to adding water on top of his greens it's the best way (that I know of) to get him hydrated...... And on the plus side hell poo in the water rather than his enclosure :). It's a win win :)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California