Dehydrated Geek tort! HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
I brought home a Greek tort whom I believe is dehydrated if not extremely dehydrated from the pet store I work at. When you pick him up he feels almost like he is hollow inside, is very skinny for his size, has somewhat sunken in eyes, doesn't move too much from the place you set him, and doesn't eat. When I brought him home today I placed him in my terra cotta plant saucer to sit in and he began guzzling water and dunking his head in while he is drinking. And is sitting in there and just sleeping. I made a nice salad of greens, aloe, tomato, and cucumber and he didn't find anything interesting at all (he hasn't eaten that I know of in about a month). I have the basking spot at about 103 and the cool spot at about 83. I just want to know if there is anything I can do for him besides a couple of baths a day. I don't want him to die in my care because I hope to adopt him if I can help him in my care. I have other torts like 2 Russians and 1 Greek that are very healthy and active. I'd appreciate any help!!!

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
The only thing I can suggest- that probably saved my babes life a few months ago- is baby carrot food soaks.
Baby carrot food soaks help your tort soak up some rich and much needed nutrients when they have not eaten.
Encourage any and every type of green available until he starts eating something. It took baby carrot food and strawberries to get my girl to perk up when she was on her death bed in Dec. obviously strawberries aren't good for everyday food just maybe a treat once month but I was desperate to get something into her system. Every tort I have encountered loves strawberries. Try other greens like collard greens, mustard greens or kale first though.

Good luck to your baby! (Or the stores)

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

I'm curious what you mean by guzzling water... You actually saw your tort lapping water? This has always been a curious thing for me because I have never seen my tort drink...
Though she most definitely pees a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In the UK we can buy Reptoboost (google it) which you add to soaking water to help rehydrate reptiles; I use it after hibernation.. That would be worth a try.

Baby food soaks as above are also a good idea.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Baby food soaks, and if you can't find the stuff JoesMum suggested, you can use pedialite. Good luck, hope he pulls through.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
When tortoises are severly dehydrated their digestive system is quite often in a suspended, even a shut down mode. This is an instinctual process that enables the tortoise to try to maintain body hydration. In severe cases it's kidneys and liver may also be only partially functioning or possibly shut down. By feeding it sugar laden foods in an attempt to get it to eat the digestive system is being burdened even more. Most tortoise species digestive systems, including Testudo graeca subspecies, are not accustomed to processing large quantities of foods that are high in sugar content. In a weakened or stressed system bacteria will bloom in the gut and intestines with the introduction of sugar. So while the sugar laden foods may be high in other nutrients, they may also be more damaging to a dehydrated or highly stressed tortoise. This is in fact the worst time to feed sugar laden foods! A normally healthy tortoise can easily consume sugar laden foods as long as they are fed in large volumes or constantly. A sick one cannot. Yes, it's true, some people have had sucess with feeding a sick tortoise "irresistable" sugary fruits to get the eat something. Many also have not.

A well balanced diet will provide the correct electrolytes to rehydrate as well as adjusting environmental conditions to add some moisture and humidity, at correct temperature levels. Foods to feed are those high in potassium, magnesium, calcium and even sodium.

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Yes, I do not want to feed him anything like fruit or pedialite because of the sugar and give him diarrhea and dehydrate him more. And I do mean he was lapping water, he took about 30 gulps of water and even dunked his head in for awhile while he was drinking, I've never seen any of my other torts do either, I was very surprised. Actually after soaking in his dish he did manage to walk all the way over to the hide which is a good little distance for him. As for the baby food soaks do you mean mixing baby food with his soaking water? I've never heard of that!! Is there maybe anything else I could give a try?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yvonne G is the expert in baby food soaks. If she doesn't repsond do contact her. As I understand it you mix babyfood carrot puree with water and soak the tort in that.

Reptoboost, or a US equivalent is specially designed for reptiles, including torts and will not make matters worse. I buy it from amazon.co.uk

theelectraco

5 Year Member
If it hasn't eaten in a month, why hasn't your work taken action instead of letting it regress further?

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Brantford, Ont.,Canada
Torts4Life! said:
I brought home a Greek tort whom I believe is dehydrated if not extremely dehydrated from the pet store I work at. When you pick him up he feels almost like he is hollow inside, is very skinny for his size, has somewhat sunken in eyes, doesn't move too much from the place you set him, and doesn't eat. When I brought him home today I placed him in my terra cotta plant saucer to sit in and he began guzzling water and dunking his head in while he is drinking. And is sitting in there and just sleeping. I made a nice salad of greens, aloe, tomato, and cucumber and he didn't find anything interesting at all (he hasn't eaten that I know of in about a month). I have the basking spot at about 103 and the cool spot at about 83. I just want to know if there is anything I can do for him besides a couple of baths a day. I don't want him to die in my care because I hope to adopt him if I can help him in my care. I have other torts like 2 Russians and 1 Greek that are very healthy and active. I'd appreciate any help!!!

Hi, I would just like to add to everybody else's ideas, I would recommend a solar glo UVA-b heat bulb, since I bought this for approx fifty bucks, my little Greek is active ALL day long and drinks water regularly, she eats non stop, just want to know did the pet shop change the uv light, I know most shops rather not spend the money on something like that but I assume by the sounds of it it has no energy to eat or drink so that's why I'm recommending the solar glo, I've noticed a huge difference. Also try Reptisafe water conditioner, it has calcium in it and other minerals, hope that helps the little guy.

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
theelectraco said:
If it hasn't eaten in a month, why hasn't your work taken action instead of letting it regress further?

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

Thank you, I know! But its because it's corporate America (to make money) and the people don't know tortoises. I just hope I'm not too late :(

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Torts4Life! said:
theelectraco said:

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

Thank you, I know! But its because it's corporate America (to make money) and the people don't know tortoises. I just hope I'm not too late :(

I don't really think that is a valid reason. I work for a chain pet store and we take very good care of our tortoises and don't spare any time or money to take them to the vet...this has been the case even before I was a tortoise fanatic and held my work to high standards. I'm not sure where exactly you work, but my store has policies for how long animals can go without a vet if its needed (24hrs). If your managers are not following those policies then enforcing them is a way to get the tortoise the medical attention they need. Furthermore, not eating usually doesn't even need a vet trip, just a knowledgable person willing to make adjustments to the tortoises care.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Torts4Life! said:

Hi, I would just like to add to everybody else's ideas, I would recommend a solar glo UVA-b heat bulb, since I bought this for approx fifty bucks, my little Greek is active ALL day long and drinks water regularly, she eats non stop, just want to know did the pet shop change the uv light, I know most shops rather not spend the money on something like that but I assume by the sounds of it it has no energy to eat or drink so that's why I'm recommending the solar glo, I've noticed a huge difference. Also try Reptisafe water conditioner, it has calcium in it and other minerals, hope that helps the little guy.

I have the solar glo on my own greek and he is so awesome!! He does just like your little guy. I do use reptisafe in my water dishes. But regarding your question on the stores uv light no I don't think they have changed to uv light. The other greek they have there is active, eats well and is the complete opposite of the one I took home so I'm not sure what it is besides he is dehydrated.

theelectraco said:
Torts4Life! said:
theelectraco said:

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

I don't really think that is a valid reason. I work for a chain pet store and we take very good care of our tortoises and don't spare any time or money to take them to the vet...this has been the case even before I was a tortoise fanatic and held my work to high standards. I'm not sure where exactly you work, but my store has policies for how long animals can go without a vet if its needed (24hrs). If your managers are not following those policies then enforcing them is a way to get the tortoise the medical attention they need. Furthermore, not eating usually doesn't even need a vet trip, just a knowledgable person willing to make adjustments to the tortoises care.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

Well I don't know what to tell you because I'm trying to be that knowledgeable person and do the right thing for him. I'm not on here to discuss where I work and why they didn't do what was needed to be done before this situation. I'm trying to get options and different ideas to help the little guy. That's all I want to do.

Just as an update on the little guy. I put him in the water dish and he didn't drink as excessively as last night but did drink some. While he was soaking he did pee for the first time since I've brought him home and a good amount of his urine was gritty white chunks that have the shape of like poop. But his eyes do look better and not quite as sunken in.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Keep up with the soaking ... I would soak in a dish that would come over the "skirt" of the shell. Sounds like you are doing the right thing.

I agree the important thing is YOU have taken action and are trying to save this little guys life! Who cares where you work or what their policies are at the moment.

Bless you for helping this tort!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
GBTortoises is correct in assuming that Gerber strained carrots is high in sugar. I would heed his advice on this part of the equation. To substitute nutrients in the soaking water for the carrots, you can add a few drops of liquid bird vitamins.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I hope everything works out! SOAK SOAK SOAK! :) That's a great sign that he/she peed!

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Yvonne G said:
GBTortoises is correct in assuming that Gerber strained carrots is high in sugar. I would heed his advice on this part of the equation. To substitute nutrients in the soaking water for the carrots, you can add a few drops of liquid bird vitamins.

I'm glad I didn't get the Gerber baby food then. I did get an organic carrot baby food and squash as well. Do you think that is high in sugar too? I read the nutrient facts and it said 4 grams of sugar in the carrot one... is that too much?

GBtortoises said:
When tortoises are severly dehydrated their digestive system is quite often in a suspended, even a shut down mode. This is an instinctual process that enables the tortoise to try to maintain body hydration. In severe cases it's kidneys and liver may also be only partially functioning or possibly shut down. By feeding it sugar laden foods in an attempt to get it to eat the digestive system is being burdened even more. Most tortoise species digestive systems, including Testudo graeca subspecies, are not accustomed to processing large quantities of foods that are high in sugar content. In a weakened or stressed system bacteria will bloom in the gut and intestines with the introduction of sugar. So while the sugar laden foods may be high in other nutrients, they may also be more damaging to a dehydrated or highly stressed tortoise. This is in fact the worst time to feed sugar laden foods! A normally healthy tortoise can easily consume sugar laden foods as long as they are fed in large volumes or constantly. A sick one cannot. Yes, it's true, some people have had sucess with feeding a sick tortoise "irresistable" sugary fruits to get the eat something. Many also have not.

A well balanced diet will provide the correct electrolytes to rehydrate as well as adjusting environmental conditions to add some moisture and humidity, at correct temperature levels. Foods to feed are those high in potassium, magnesium, calcium and even sodium.

What would you suggest to try to get him to eat?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
As a dehydrated tort gains hydration it will start to feel better and want to eat. Continue soaking every day at least twice a day. Offer fresh colorful foods everyday. A diet like your Russians is fine. Weeds, dandylion, sedum, kale, spring mix etc.
The white grit is urates. They are a normal process for a tort and if they are released it means the tort is taking in fluid to replace what it is releasing. Thats a very good thing and means the organs will start functioning better. Soak soak soak! Keep the food fresh and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.