Help New Tortoise (cracked shell, dehydrated)

athenamellencauff

I took in a 4yr old tortoise 2 days ago! Instantly gave him a bath, when I picked him up I found he has a small crack in his shell. That is now seeping, and it looks like he has blood spots under his shell. There are also soft spots on the top and bottom of him. He was severely dehydrated and they didn't know when he ate last or moved around.
I have taken him out every couple hours to keep him moving. Any advise on the new addition would be great.

athenamellencauff

Russian Tortoise.....I have him in a separate tank right now! A small tank with nothing sharp as his shell is soft. Crack is in carapace in between 3&4, he is seeping (very small amount) out of the middle last carapace. No noticeable crack on the back. I will try and take some close up pictures, but it is on the seam (not sure of technical term).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This poor tortoise has undergone quite a bit of abuse. Besides the shell problems, her beak is overgrown. The picture showing the plastron (bottom) is blurry, but it looks like septicemia.

The tortoise should have antibiotics, but other than that, what she needs is TLC. And it sounds like you have that part of the treatment under control.

Warm daily soaks of at least 30 minutes. Position a light over the edge of the soaking tub and it shouldn't get too cool. It will only get as cool as the room temperature. And just hope for the best.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the tortoise hasn't been getting the required calcium/sunshine for quite a long time, and that's the reason it was susceptible to being squashed hence the crack.

So, calcium-rich foods with either real sunshine, or a good UVB light to strengthen the bones and shell. (Calcium doesn't do its job inside the tortoise without the UVB, which makes vitamin d3 to work with the calcium)

You have taken on quite a big job. I hope your tortoise makes it, and good luck to you.

Welcome to the Forum!!

(Oh, and...the tortoise is 10 or 12 years old, not 4. Pet stores always give a younger age for russian tortoises because they don't realize it is a small species. The tortoise looks full grown to me)

athenamellencauff

Not a good morning! He passed away during the night. My wonderful husband said, "at least he knew someone cared"!

If I can give a few words of advise.....if you don't want your pet please give it away to a good home. No pet deserves the neglect that this poor guy went through. Do your homework know what you are getting into, if you buy it for a child (parents plan on taking care of it).

Thank you to everyone who posted to my questions. Just wish I would have had another day to get him to a vet. As far as his age took him in from a family on Friday evening they had him about 2 years. I am guessing two horrible years for this guy. They got him from another family of Craigslist...so again be sure you want a pet and the commitment of 50 years of caring.

Bobbie

katfinlou

5 Year Member
So so sorry, such a sad story. It amazes me that people can let an innocent helpless defenceless animal suffer in this way. Just a shame you didn't have more time to let him see what a loving family could be like. It's wonderful that you tried though

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Aw, darn it, Bobbie! There's really nothing more I can add except to say I'm so sorry.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry.

At this point, in hindsight, it is unlikely that a vet could have changed the outcome. It takes a while for tortoises to respond to treatment when they do. This poor creature had suffered too much abuse for too long. You gave him some good days at the end.