My husband may KILL me but.................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
OMGosh I just could not say no. A friend of a friend has baby box turtles she wants to get rid of. I am so excited, but my husband is going to kill me! Any advice on the care of baby three toeds would be appriciated.

She also has a male salcata she wants to rehome. Anybody want a male about 5 years old?

I still have a gecko looking for a home also.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Don't feel bad, I am getting a hatchling Redfoot on Friday and my wife doesn't know about it. Just going to put him/her in the enclosure and let her figure it out...:p

Three toeds tend to really go after food the wiggles or crawls. Rolly polies, red wigglers and things like that. I just bought a-can-of-snails from the pet store and used a pair of twizzers and slowly moved it around and they got after it. Mine have also started eating Venison and I mix some greens in it, other wise mine wont touch the greens.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I don't even know how many I am getting. I need to start making an enclosure. Do I need an aquarium or will a rubber made box work? What about soil? What should I use?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I started with an aquarium and now I am using a christmas tree container. They dig very good so you don't want it too big other wise it will be hard to find them when they dig down deep. For my substrate, I use a combination of spangum moss and topsoil. Its real easy for them to dig down into and it falls off of them pretty easy, plus the plants and stuff grow good in it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's been nice having the two of you, Angi and dmarcus as TFO members. Very sad to lose you :( I hope you had very happy lives. Where should we send flowers:D
Hahaha:p
Should we call the police if we don't see a post from you in a couple days:D:D:D:p

Don't forget pics

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Do you dig the top soil up from your yard or buy it?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I Just buy a bag from Home Depot for $1.08.

wellington said:
It's been nice having the two of you, Angi and dmarcus as TFO members. Very sad to lose you :( I hope you had very happy lives. Where should we send flowers:D
Hahaha:p
Should we call the police if we don't see a post from you in a couple days:D:D:D:p

Don't forget pics

Thats funny, I will be at work when she gets home friday so I'm sure I will get a couple text message that night...:p

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Yes -Wellington call the police if you don't see a post from me in a week. And watch C/L for my pets. The ad will probably read; two torts, three geckos and a bunch of f'in turtles please take ASAP!!!!! In lou of flowers please make a donation to a turtle and tortoise rescue :).

jkingler

5 Year Member
Are you referring to the soil that they will sprinkle over your descending casket? ;)

You'll both be sorely missed here.

But in all seriousness, congrats on the new babies! And re: "I need to start making an enclosure." I know the feeling. Going to visit a breeder now and maybe get another tort soon! Glad the OH is on my side on this one. I don't want to orphan the tort we already have!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I don't understand why he has a problem with my growing reptile collection. I don't have a problem with his pool table in the middle of the livingroom.......although I have fantasized about turning it into a tortoise table :). I have put up with and gotten involved with his hobbies for 23 years.

Well I decided to tell him ahead of time....in an e-mail. Now to wait.......for his reply.....

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Angi said:
I don't understand why he has a problem with my growing reptile collection. I don't have a problem with his pool table in the middle of the livingroom.......although I have fantasized about turning it into a tortoise table :). I have put up with and gotten involved with his hobbies for 23 years.

Well I decided to tell him ahead of time....in an e-mail. Now to wait.......for his reply.....

Sounds like it's time for him to return some support for your hobbies...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Yay!!!!!!!!!! He said yes!!!!!!! :) He is not so bad and the kids like his hobbies too so I am kind of the odd ball of the family. I am not athletic or tall and I hate to watch sports unless my kids, husband or niece are playing. I think asking him instead of them just showing up ( like I usually do) was a good idea. He would not get a big dog without asking me. He treatens too all the time :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Oh Angi! I know how it feels. It would be so cool if both partners had the same addiction. I would love a few more torts! How big is the sullie? Any pics?

dmarcus, I feel for you! But I'm sure your the "man of the house" so what can she really do? HA Ha. Good luck! I'm sure she will come around because she loves you.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I wish I had your luck!..I want another 3 toed!....How little is it?

Momof4 said:
Oh Angi! I know how it feels. It would be so cool if both partners had the same addiction. I would love a few more torts! How big is the sullie? Any pics?

dmarcus, I feel for you! But I'm sure your the "man of the house" so what can she really do? HA Ha. Good luck! I'm sure she will come around because she loves you.

maybe TFO should have a dating site for ppl who both share the passion!!...I know my hubs is not to fond of me having 3 turtles..he said "this is it, no more".....ugggg....but im still gonna get 1 more!!..when I find the right one...:p:D

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I don't know how big a 5 year old sulcata would be. She invited me to come see her place. She has a pretty nice set up with lot of torts and turtles from what she said, in Lakeside?. I am in Ramona PM me if you want to check it out with me.

@ Jojo. I don't know how big they are. I think pretty small. They were born in October.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
wow 3 months old...maybe the size of a quarter....give or take....I am sure for now you can make an inside vivarium out of a 20-40 gallon fish tank.....make sure you put a spongy type substrate like the frog moss type (or similar)..and some moist coco coir...kinda mix it together...give them a hide to go under, some ppl use a clay pot turned on its side..or a half log from a pet store. a small plate for water with a makeshift ramp so they can get it and out easily..it does not have to be deep...just enough for them to sit in without the water level going over there neck...you might want to put some fake plants it there so they feel secure and let the light filter through it...get a basking light for heat....and keep the humidity around 80ish....I use a spray bottle with warm water and mist throughout mine..and i keep the temp on one side around 70-73....and on the other side about 77-80....

hope this helps a bit!

M

Maggie Cummings

Angi, I am glad your hubby didn't have you arrested, and that right there is why I am not married...I HATE to be told what to do, or what I can't do.:p
Put your aquarium on a slant then add some water to it and use your topsoil like a beach. At the high part of the slant put your topsoil, not too deep or you'll lose them, and gradually make your soil slant down to the water. This way they can bury themselves or go swimming as they wish. Keep a light about the middle and keep a black light bulb at the high part over the topsoil. Feed them worms, meal worms or red wigglers or night crawlers. Oh, rollie pollie's too, they are good baby food. I'd also moisten some trout chow and offer that, it smells real fishy so they should eat that too. Marcus has offered some good advice, I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. Don't take the Sulcata, if it's healthy it should weigh about 6 pounds. But if you take it you'll never let it go. Sulcata have the biggest personality in the world... look at what I go thru with Bob...do you really want to do that???

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Maggie, You are a smart and funny lady! I would not take the sulcata I don't think I could house that big of a tort during the winter. Of course my husband would leave me so I would have the extra room ;)Hmmmm...... No No then I would have to get a job and wouldn't have time for my torts.

Do you think I need an aqarium or would a rubbermaid plastic box work? Also what kind of soil would you use Maggie? Wont the water get icky if I don't have it in something I can dump daily. I don't want to hurt these babies so keep the great advice coming

Status
Not open for further replies.