My husband may KILL me but.................

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
Yes you could use a rubbermaid container...also you will change the water everyday..because little boxies poop in it....so water ever you can find that will work for you...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
The most important thing is to mimic a natural environment. Low light, warm humidity, plenty of places to hide and dig into, a flat stone to eat on, a water dish to soak. I only use glass vivariums for hatchlings. It holds the humidity very well, which is so important. A three month old TT hatchling is very tiny, so I wouldn't get anything too big, or you will be digging all day trying to find her. The most important thing, and I'm sure everyone with Box Turtles will agree, is hydration. I mist my vivariums at least three times a day, even if they don't come out that day. And...in about two years you can start having some real fun planing your Turtle Garden. :D

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I saw someone post a modified humidifier using pvc piping and a drug store humidifier...i wonder if its working well if so...i might try it

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the world of Boxies :) They are awesome!

Here is where I keep my little ones...

KristinasPictures413697.jpg

Lots of leaves and moss and hidey places.

KristinasPictures413701.jpg

KristinasPictures413910.jpg

KristinasPictures131.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
jojodesca said:
I saw someone post a modified humidifier using pvc piping and a drug store humidifier...i wonder if its working well if so...i might try it

I also seen that post. I did my humidifier the same way because I was going thru too many, getting to much moisture in the machine, having it be inside the enclosure and I was on my 5 th one in Just a few months. So I did the PVC as you seen on the post and it works great.

maggie3fan said:
Angi, I am glad your hubby didn't have you arrested, and that right there is why I am not married...I HATE to be told what to do, or what I can't do.:p
Put your aquarium on a slant then add some water to it and use your topsoil like a beach. At the high part of the slant put your topsoil, not too deep or you'll lose them, and gradually make your soil slant down to the water. This way they can bury themselves or go swimming as they wish. Keep a light about the middle and keep a black light bulb at the high part over the topsoil. Feed them worms, meal worms or red wigglers or night crawlers. Oh, rollie pollie's too, they are good baby food. I'd also moisten some trout chow and offer that, it smells real fishy so they should eat that too. Marcus has offered some good advice, I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. Don't take the Sulcata, if it's healthy it should weigh about 6 pounds. But if you take it you'll never let it go. Sulcata have the biggest personality in the world... look at what I go thru with Bob...do you really want to do that???

Maggie3fan, I hear ya. That's why I ask my husband and then do what I want anyway. Makes him think he has a say, but well hmmmmm he doesn't:D

So is it safe to say that Angi's husband knows about the new torts and she survived :D, or are we still on the look out for her to disappear from posting here:p. Don't forget pics and good luck with them. BTY if you wanted to gain that extra room for your torts, we would never say a thing:D:D:D

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I am going to sneak another turtle in just to see if my hubs notices...plus...he's not very observant since I am the one taking care of them.....and besides why should we have to ask..we are the boss in the long run..we just let them think they are..hahaha...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
He probably would not notice if I put new critters with old ones, but I don't mix them.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
Angi said:
OMGosh I just could not say no. A friend of a friend has baby box turtles she wants to get rid of. I am so excited, but my husband is going to kill me! Any advice on the care of baby three toeds would be appriciated.

She also has a male salcata she wants to rehome. Anybody want a male about 5 years old?

I still have a gecko looking for a home also.

I would take the gecko,but I'm in Canada,,unless you want to UPS him here!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Thank, but I think I found a home for him. Hopefully a forever home :)

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Momof4 said:
Oh Angi! I know how it feels. It would be so cool if both partners had the same addiction. I would love a few more torts! How big is the sullie? Any pics?

dmarcus, I feel for you! But I'm sure your the "man of the house" so what can she really do? HA Ha. Good luck! I'm sure she will come around because she loves you.

This is why I'm glad I found all of my weird border-line insane obsessions young I can have a list for potential long term partners that amounts too if you can't deal with these things then I suggest you get out now ;) ...it's a rather long list and it starts with don't you ever give me **** about the torts

...luckily I have a back plan of being old maids on a farm in the mountains with my best friend, so that when that inevitably scares everyone off I'm still set :D

Ohh and Angi, the babies are beautiful...I think next year is going to be the year of the boxer and the GPP for me

Ohh wait, those were Kristina's ....way to pay attention Ana. Kristina your babies are beautiful, Angi I can't wait for pics of yours!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Ana You might find some new obbsesssions in your 40s like I did :) 5 years ago NOBODY would have ever guessed I would have an interest in any reptile!...or have a tattoo....or become pro MJ.....people learn and find new passions as they age. At least I did.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think I have found more time for things like tortoises as I have gotten older. When I was young I kept all kinds of stuff and I was really to busy to give them all the proper care they needed.

The beggining of last year I had one tortoise, by the end of the week I will 8 torts/turtles and most at the reluctance of my wife...:p:p

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Angi, just be sure to remind your next of kin that I'm local. ;)

My husband started the whole tortoise thing and I still had to strategize because he hadn't gotten anything in awhile ... until he broke down and got himself a cherryhead at Pomona and now all bets are off again.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Angi said:
Ana You might find some new obbsesssions in your 40s like I did :) 5 years ago NOBODY would have ever guessed I would have an interest in any reptile!...or have a tattoo....or become pro MJ.....people learn and find new passions as they age. At least I did.

Haha well Maybe I need to change the list to a sign that just says " back away from the crazy person"

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
ShadowRancher said:
Angi said:

Haha well Maybe I need to change the list to a sign that just says " back away from the crazy person"

:D:D:D:D:D:D

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
ShadowRancher said:
Angi said:

LMAO im backing up : )

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Angi said:
I don't understand why he has a problem with my growing reptile collection. I don't have a problem with his pool table in the middle of the livingroom.......although I have fantasized about turning it into a tortoise table :). I have put up with and gotten involved with his hobbies for 23 years.

Well I decided to tell him ahead of time....in an e-mail. Now to wait.......for his reply.....

I look at it his way, He will only be mad for a SHORT time but you will have the tort for a LONG time. To me thats a win win deal. My wife just knows its gonna happen and shes pretty good about it.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Angi said:

OK, I give up. What is "pro MJ"?

Status
Not open for further replies.