Three-toed Box Turtle Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I am acquiring a 1.3 group of 3 toeds tomorrow. The current owner has them hibernating in a rubbermaid tub. She pulled them out today, weighed them and checked them over. Everyone looked good. She wants to place them directly with me so that when they wake up they will be at their permanent home. My questions are (1)Does anyone close to me (New Jersey) hibernated 3 toeds outside in the winter? (2)Do they basically eat the same as EBT's? Her diet sounded similar but just wanted to double check.

Thanks!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Their diet is the same as a EBT. As far as hibernating outside, I would suggest comparing winter temps and weather in New Jersey with St. Louis or Springfield, Mo.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I've hibernated 3 toeds up here in Massachusetts for over 20 years. As long as they are healthy when they go into hibernation, they do just fine. You shouldn't have any trouble hibernating them in N.J.
I've already seen some of my 3 toeds and Gulf coast these past few days.
The diet is exactly the same as your Easterns.

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks guys! That is what I thought but I always like to double check with the pros! One more question. Should I let them continue hibernating in their tub in my garage, or put them under a buch of leaf litter in their new enclosure?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
When would they have normally been gotten up?

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
My easterns are starting to show their faces here and there. That's why I thought that maybe I could put them under some leaf litter.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It should be okay to put them outside Dee. Just make sure, when you know night time temperatures will be at or below freezing, to check on them at dusk. That way if they haven't dug in, you can cover them up.

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Congrats on the new additions! Still staying too cold here for any of mine to be out and about. Always such a relief when they come up and stay up.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks Jacqui! I just put them in their enclosure covered them with mulch and leaves and will let them continue their nap. I imagine that they will be waking up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.