My Large Sulcatas ate some Styrofoam

OneTortisBoi

Location (City and/or State)
San juan apalit pampanga
Hello everyone i really need help, two of my adult sulcatas accidentally ate some Styrofoam that the wind blew in their enclosure, and i am freaking the flip out.... What do i do? I gave them a few watermelon slices to help them pass it out hopefully it helps, i am so bumbed out right now?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Most members are asleep over here right now.

Did you actually see them swallow it?

I think that since it's already eaten, there isn't much to do about it now. I think give them plenty of wet foods for a while, and watch their poops. It should come out pretty much looking the same as when it went in.

I believe they will be fine.

OneTortisBoi

San juan apalit pampanga
Yeh there was a big chunk missing from the foam pretty much my girl swallowed most of it the the male ate a little will try feeding them more papaya to help them pass it........thanks for the advice

IMG_20200822_154009.jpg

OneTortisBoi

San juan apalit pampanga
My sully has eaten it a couple of times. Even ate a big chunk of my wife's rubber flip flop. Keep a eye on the poop. It should come out in about 3 to 4 days.
Wow thats crazy that your tortoise ate you wife's flip flop lol the fact that its rubber..... Thanks I'll update you guys whenever they poop out

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeh there was a big chunk missing from the foam pretty much my girl swallowed most of it the the male ate a little will try feeding them more papaya to help them pass it........thanks for the advice
No papaya. That is not good for them. Spineless opuntia or aloe would be okay. It will probably pass.

OneTortisBoi

San juan apalit pampanga
Glad to hear. I'm sure you will rest better now.
Did they poop it out today? If so... 11 days later.
Yeh they look like normal poop at first but then i picked it up and opened it(i know im gross XD) then there it was, I'll upgrade the fencing around the perimeter so next time something blows inside their enclosure it wont pass easily

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Yeh they look like normal poop at first but then i picked it up and opened it(i know im gross XD) then there it was, I'll upgrade the fencing around the perimeter so next time something blows inside their enclosure it wont pass easily
Not gross at all, at least around here. We have lots of discussions about tortoise poop. ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Here is a pic of Opo nibbling on my wife's flip flop. Obviously it didn't taste good, he didn't eat much. My wife's foot was dangling and he came up and took a bite.
20200906_153931.jpg

OneTortisBoi

San juan apalit pampanga
Here is a pic of Opo nibbling on my wife's flip flop. Obviously it didn't taste good, he didn't eat much. My wife's foot was dangling and he came up and took a bite.
View attachment 305506
Man having tortoises can be a handful sometimes my female eats everything that lands on her enclosure even tried to have a nibble on my foot... Good thing i wear0 boots when i hang out with them

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Man having tortoises can be a handful sometimes my female eats everything that lands on her enclosure even tried to have a nibble on my foot... Good thing i wear0 boots when i hang out with them
Thank you for saying that. I'm a fan of closed-toe shoes. Even before seeing so many stories about tortoises chasing after or trying to nip painted toenails.

Tortoise vs. toes. No matter how many times I run that particular risk assessment in my head, it doesn't look good for the toes. ?

Last edited:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
You know this means we're waiting for poop pictures... ;)
That was awhile ago. He also knocked a empty water bottle off the porch table. Smashed the bottle and then cap came off. Of course he ate the cap. About 4 days later my wife saw he pooped it out.
She didn't get a pic.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
That was awhile ago. He also knocked a empty water bottle off the porch table. Smashed the bottle and then cap came off. Of course he ate the cap. About 4 days later my wife saw he pooped it out.
She didn't get a pic.
I'm always curious on what those time frames are for foreign objects to pass through a tortoise's digestive tract. I know, I'm weird. At least I'm in the right place.