my last rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I SWEAR! I'll try not to look at tortoises and will only rescue those that really need me. Really. :rolleyes:

When I went in to pick up the Greek, I called the manager out to tell her the condition of the little Russian they had... shell rot... old shell rot and dry now but still... wild caught, and I didn't even bother to tell her he prolly was illegal when they got him because he is just barely 4" now and they've had him for several months, I am sure he would have HAD to be under the legal size limit when they got him. Anyways I expressed to her that someone who doesn't know how to care for him will likely make him very sick, that he needs to be in a specialized environment to make sure the shell rot doesn't come back or get worse... I laid it on pretty thick. They were trying to sell him for $89.99. As soon as I was done with my "speech" she said, "I can tell you know what you are doing. I'll sell him to you for $50."

Yah that is still a price to pay for a Tort with such a bad shell (I mean it's not HORRIBLE but you know...) considering they were NEVER gong to be able to sell him and I prolly coulda gotten them down in time, but I took him anyways. Becaaaauuuuse... he has the BIGGEST personality. He had veggies all over his face, came running to the edge of the enclosure to look at me, and when I held him he went CRAZY over having his head pet. OMG he was priceless!

So he's home... They had him in a HUGE glass enclosure, on pellets, and the basking and UVB were two feet above him. No hide but some HUGE branches that were useless to him. Right now I have him in the turtle sandbox and he just cruises around checking things out. He got mad at me when I put some food in front of his face (when he was busy checking something else out) and bobbed his head at me, practically rammed my hand! ROFL He actually seems pretty healthy aside from the shell issues, which I don't think I need to do anything for at this point...

Okay enough rambling... pics now... (and if anyone knows how I can care for his shell with his rot, lmk! it is DRY so not gooey or anything)

Meet Vanya...
103_3942.jpg

I'm thinking this tail is gonna sprout out to a big male tail, it's already got some length to it!
103_3946.jpg

103_3950.jpg

103_3963.jpg

103_3969.jpg

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Oh my gosh you big crack head! (Im going to start a TortFreaks Anonymous group I swear!) He is a cutie for sure. Good luck with him and dont forget to get a fecal sample to take in to be checked. ;)

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
ROFL I am a Tortie-Crack Head! But what could I do?!? I'm a softie! He has a bigger personality than my Mithril, who is known as Miss Attitude! He's so dang funny! Not scared one bit! Well worth the time and a few pennies!

reptileeats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Alabama
Are you sure it's old shell rot. Looks like insect damage to me.

Poor baby, it looks like he has a good home now though.

It's crazy what pet stores will do. I went to my PetSmart and they were feeding frozen veggies to their Redfoots so offered to provide my food free of charge. I sent them one shipment and the employees told me the tortoises loved it. I tried to give them another shipment and the manager wouldn't accept it. Said it was against policy. I guess their policy is to feed unhealthy food.
Some pet stores shouldn't be allowed to sell animals.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Nope I'm not sure it's shell rot! I'll accept whatever the experts tell me! I dind't know they could get insect damage! He does have some spots missing along the edge of his shell, small chunks... Is there anything I can do to help "heal" his shell up now, other than provide him the best environment and diet possible??? (BTW I fed him some food from this week's shipment of Reptile Eats and he devoured it! ;) )

And that was really nice of you to offer your food to that store! I don't know why petstores don't want to care for their "merchandise" in the best way possible!!!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Oh and I have to tell you all, this little fellow LOVES having his head rubbed sooooo much!!! He was sitting in his enclosure and I slowly put my hand in and started rubbing his head... he stuck it out and actually closed his eyes and just ate it up! He fell asleep with me rubbing his head! He is such a sweetheart, I just can't believe it!!!

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
you are a softie! at least your are giving the rescued torts a chance to live. the store certainly isn't trying to.

reptileeats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Alabama
I'm certainly no expert but it does look like insect damage. I've seen a lot of cases of this in WC animals. It appears to be old damage. As long as nothing looks fresh there shouldn't be anything to worry about. If you suspect there is, nothing can replace a visit to the vet which is encouraged once obtaining a new animal.

I'm glad he liked our food. That's always nice to hear.

Fiddlerchick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Bless your heart, Kelly!

He's absolutely ADORABLE!!!!

I probabay would have done the same thing, and then have to hock an instrument or something to pay the rent at the end of the month....

-BK

Fiddlerchick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
P.S. My husband quickly learned to blindfold me and steer me past the kitty adoption centers whenever we go anywhere near pet stores!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm glad you have him now Kelly :D
The large deep hole on his carapace was probably never shell rot, but damage while still in the wild exposing the the bone and having it die (which bone always does when exposed)
All the little spots along the seams of most of the scutes that I can see on the carapace were shell rot, probably from him being to damp at one point in time and or getting scratched by other tortoises packed to tightly before shipping to the US.
If it doesn't smell or have red edges it's already healed or mostly healed and all that exposed bone will eventually come off.

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Kelly you are a big push over! But glad he's with you. BTW......I have this bridge. LOL

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
LOL nice to know somebody is worse then me at being an animal sucker...lol. It's why I rarely go into pet stores any more, something always needs a home. Bad enough every cat knows to stop at my house. Only have like over 2 dozen hanging around. We just get all the females fixed and a new female (usually with kittens in tow) shows up. Wanted a small dog for the truck, because I go crazy with no pets around and none of our dogs would work (only have 6 to choose from). Ended up adopting a lab mix as his last chance..he has lots of bad habits. Less than two weeks later, we came across the mother Great Pyrenees dumping three of her four pups and just had to help rescue them...and then take the big male puppy with us. Did I say I wanted a SMALL dog for the truck? :rolleyes::D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Congrats on being such a softie. I know Vanya is sure glad you are. And I'm sure he will live a long loved life in your home. Seems to be quite a few of us softies out there ;) But I could caution you on saying "last" rescue- well at least until the next one comes along.:p

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
that's right! until the next one comes along... ROFL!

i am just amazed at how friendly and brave he is! i fed him his greens by hand today, and he wasn't scared of my fingers at all - never flinched or pulled his head in his shell - and even tried a few nibbles of fingers! LOL!

i guess since my last four new torts had been Red-Foots who are all still in hiding CONSTANTLY and it's still a struggle to get them to eat, I'm thrilled to have one that just eats up my attention! not like I don't have other Russians that do that but it just makes things so much sweeter!!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I moved him into the turtle table today (since it's now empty), and he has spent SOOOOO much time trying to escape... trying to climb the walls, and climbing up and down the log... he has worn himself out! I was watching him trying to climb up the corner, slip, try again, slip, try again, slip... then fall fast asleep before he could try again! ROFL!!! It's so precious!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
you definitely should take your beautiful Russian to an exotics vet. The vet I worked for would probably use his Dremel to rout/grind around the edges of the wound (not painful...like filing your nails)...to be sure there isn't infection hiding under it. The shell will usually grow back. I rescued my male Russian cause his plastron was wrinkly and puckered. I didn't know then what it was but I knew it wasn't right. I paid $10 for him. The vet had to remove about 2/3 of the plastron. I had to keep him on sanitary bedding for several months. It was worth all the trouble. It all grew back & he is so personable. Loves his head rubbed. He pushes against my finger & looks like he is thinking...that feels sooooo good.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
He is sooooo adorable!!!!! I stear away from the reptiles at the petstore, My female Sveta loves having her head scratched, she will lay on my stomach and I will scratch her head and she will sit for hours.

Congrats on the new little guy....

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thanks!

Here's the little sweetie sleeping with his legs sticking straight out! Too funny! It's hard to tell but they weren't even touching the ground at all! (Yep he was under the basking light!)
103_4322.jpg

And look at that tail!!! I'd say that's an emerging male!

Jamberry

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Anchorage, AK
I know what you mean. I just don't have the money or room to be able to take in the numerous reptiles I find in horrible health and set-ups in the Petco I work by.

They have three Red Footed Tortoises in a 30 gallon terrarium with a water dish as high as their shells are tall.

Go you for saving him! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.