My Latest Rescues

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Nine desert tortoises came to me this a.m. The person giving them up has 20 and it was getting to be too much for her to handle. So I received two females, three males and four juveniles.

It's a shame they had to be given up, because the person who had them really took good care of them. I was given a "recipe card" record of each tortoise and they each have their name on the box they're in, plus they have their name on their shell in nail polish. According to the cards, they were weighed and measured regularly and a short history of each is shown.

2018 Rescues #11-19 a.jpg 2018 Rescues #11-19 b.jpg 2018 Rescues #11-19 c.jpg 2018 Rescues #11-19 d.jpg 2018 Rescues #11-19 e.jpg 2018 Rescues #11-19 f.jpg 2018 Rescues #11-19 g.jpg

So, instead of making my and Misty's lunch, I have to get some boards and stakes and make some isolation pens for these guys. I already have a nice area for the juveniles, and one empty pen for the females, but I'll need to make three pens for the males.

Now comes the part of "rescue" that I don't like. I have to make appointments to go look at peoples' yards to make sure these guys are going to good homes.

(I just noticed that the largest of the juveniles has aberrant scutes! I may just have to keep that one!!)

Jay Bagley

Michigan
That's a cute group. I haven't been a member too long, so it took me a little while to catch on that you were running a rescue. I think it's great what you do, and thanks for saving so many of these guys.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Many years ago we only had a club here in town for all reptiles - the San Joaquin Herpetological Society. I attended a few meetings, but my interest was in turtles and tortoises, and most of the talks at the meetings was about lizards and snakes (cringe, shivver!).

So I decided to start a turtle club, and the Cen-Val Chapter of CTTC was born, right there in my living room! I was the Secretary of the club for a few years, then the President for a few years, and the editor of the newsletter, but got real burned out after all these years of having to do everything with no help from anyone by my closest friend, Carol. So I quit the club and started a rescue instead. No members, no hassle, just take in turtles and tortoises, rehab them then adopt them out.

I've been doing the rescue for quite a few years now, and so far, I'm the only one in my area. I take in around 100 turtles and tortoises each year. I've been toying with the idea of not doing rescue. I really hate doing the yard inspections (I'm a hermit/recluse/troll under the bridge/curmudgeon, and don't like leaving my bridge). And as soon as I see that someone else in this area has started rescuing turtles and tortoises, I will hand over the baton.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Many years ago we only had a club here in town for all reptiles - the San Joaquin Herpetological Society. I attended a few meetings, but my interest was in turtles and tortoises, and most of the talks at the meetings was about lizards and snakes (cringe, shivver!).

So I decided to start a turtle club, and the Cen-Val Chapter of CTTC was born, right there in my living room! I was the Secretary of the club for a few years, then the President for a few years, and the editor of the newsletter, but got real burned out after all these years of having to do everything with no help from anyone by my closest friend, Carol. So I quit the club and started a rescue instead. No members, no hassle, just take in turtles and tortoises, rehab them then adopt them out.

I've been doing the rescue for quite a few years now, and so far, I'm the only one in my area. I take in around 100 turtles and tortoises each year. I've been toying with the idea of not doing rescue. I really hate doing the yard inspections (I'm a hermit/recluse/troll under the bridge/curmudgeon, and don't like leaving my bridge). And as soon as I see that someone else in this area has started rescuing turtles and tortoises, I will hand over the baton.
Super cool.

N

no one

Can I see the one with the aberrant scutes? The Tortoises look good, I hope you will find good homes!! I can image you don't like the yard inspections much. I respect you even more for doing it to help the Tortoises. *smile*

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can I see the one with the aberrant scutes? The Tortoises look good, I hope you will find good homes!! I can image you don't like the yard inspections much. I respect you even more for doing it to help the Tortoises. *smile*
It's the biggest tortoise in the fourth picture.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA

You are amazing! ! ! ! ! !:<3::<3::<3::<3::<3:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Yvonne, if you need my help out this way peeking at yards, let me know.