My M.e.e. Has arrived!!!!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I just picked up my new brown Burmese Mt. Tortoise!! Such a beautiful Tortoise!! And I've always wanted one, she is a little colder than I would like, a lil shy. Being in a warm car then a warm soak will make her a lot happier :D
She is absolutely stunning 1385488746209.jpg1385488757908.jpg1385488766965.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure that the "mountain" tortoise would be an Mep. The Mee is the "forest" tortoise.

People also use 'black' and 'brown' incorrectly. That's why I think its important to not use nicknames when talking about this species of tortoise. They have so very many nick names. According to this site: http://www.tortoise-protection-group.org.uk/site/128.asp the 'brown' is the emys emys, and the black is the emys phayrei. But if you look at other sites, they show it to be just the opposite.

According to Sean McKeon, who has written several papers on the species, "An enlarged patch of tubercular scales is present on each thigh and the species is sometimes referred to in the literature as the "six-legged" or "six footed" tortoise. Other common names include Asian brown tortoise, Burmese mountain tortoise and Burmese brown tortoise. Two subspecies are currently recognized Manouria e. emys (Schlegel and Muller, 1844) and M. e. phayrei (Blyth, 1853)."

Mr. MeKeon is referring to the Manouria emys species in this paragraph. And I think that's where nick name confusion comes into play. So according to this paragraph, both sub species are "...six-legged...Asian brown...Burmese mountain...burmese brown" No wonder there is so much confusion!!!

I forgot to mention how cute your new baby is! Love those little guys.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Very cute! I would love to work with this species. Perhaps one day in the future

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yvonne G said:
I'm pretty sure that the "mountain" tortoise would be an Mep. The Mee is the "forest" tortoise.

People also use 'black' and 'brown' incorrectly. That's why I think its important to not use nicknames when talking about this species of tortoise. They have so very many nick names. According to this site: http://www.tortoise-protection-group.org.uk/site/128.asp the 'brown' is the emys emys, and the black is the emys phayrei. But if you look at other sites, they show it to be just the opposite.

According to Sean McKeon, who has written several papers on the species, "An enlarged patch of tubercular scales is present on each thigh and the species is sometimes referred to in the literature as the "six-legged" or "six footed" tortoise. Other common names include Asian brown tortoise, Burmese mountain tortoise and Burmese brown tortoise. Two subspecies are currently recognized Manouria e. emys (Schlegel and Muller, 1844) and M. e. phayrei (Blyth, 1853)."

Mr. MeKeon is referring to the Manouria emys species in this paragraph. And I think that's where nick name confusion comes into play. So according to this paragraph, both sub species are "...six-legged...Asian brown...Burmese mountain...burmese brown" No wonder there is so much confusion!!!

I forgot to mention how cute your new baby is! Love those little guys.

I've heard it all too, burmese black mountain, burmese brown mt. Tort, Burmese mt. Tort, forest mt tortoise, who know anymore lol

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Here is a pic of bottom side Idk if that helps to tell exactly which
1385494405160.jpg
Poor lil tort didn't like that so much lol

mikeh

5 Year Member
M.E.E it is. Hatchlings often panic when picked up and retreat when released.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
O good I had it right then lol
1385496116690.jpg
A very good climber

mikeh

5 Year Member
Yes, babies are strong climbers. With the long and needle like sharp claws they will climb tall vertical surfaces, traction provided.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Wow!!! He's an AMAZING climber! Good luck with your little acrobat!!!:p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. Love the sprawled legs in the one of his plastron and the climbing one too. Very cute little bugger.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Re: RE: My M.e.e. Has arrived!!!!

wellington said:
Congrats. Love the sprawled legs in the one of his plastron and the climbing one too. Very cute little bugger.

Thanks! I've always wanted one so bad. I'm going to make her/him a jungle of a cage

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Now the mystery has begun they are a very unusual animal . Personalities can go from the most out going to the shyest little things .food preferences change weekly and you will notice changes in their body's from bloating to flattening (Yvonne just mentioned one of hers got flattened by a pen mate but regained her shape and was none the worst )please tell us what her plastron feels like to you, is it soft like a leather purse in the middle ? Wait till she eats and gets a big belly . I'm still not sure of their diet ,my phayries that chose protein grow 3 times as fast as the vegetarians . They have a way of examining you that is endearing ,they will fall asleep like a baby right where they get tiered and you will not be able to convince her that your fingers are not the food your offering . Some time their face reminds me so much of an African gray parrot , with their light eyes . Keep us posted please best of luck .(was it a good deal ?)

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Re: RE: My M.e.e. Has arrived!!!!

edwardbo said:
Now the mystery has begun they are a very unusual animal . Personalities can go from the most out going to the shyest little things .food preferences change weekly and you will notice changes in their body's from bloating to flattening (Yvonne just mentioned one of hers got flattened by a pen mate but regained her shape and was none the worst )please tell us what her plastron feels like to you, is it soft like a leather purse in the middle ? Wait till she eats and gets a big belly . I'm still not sure of their diet ,my phayries that chose protein grow 3 times as fast as the vegetarians . They have a way of examining you that is endearing ,they will fall asleep like a baby right where they get tiered and you will not be able to convince her that your fingers are not the food your offering . Some time their face reminds me so much of an African gray parrot , with their light eyes . Keep us posted please best of luck .(was it a good deal ?)

I find that she is very outgoing, she roams her cage constantly. She loves to try and climb EVERYTHING lol she does have very beautiful eyes. A deep brown. I put a mix of greens, blueberries, and pumpkin and she munched on the greens and ate a lot of the pumpkin. I don't think she touched the blueberries, I don't know what protein to feed her. So I haven't tried any of that yet
Right now she is pretty flat, she is so pretty and exotic looking in my opinion.
She does a funny thing where if I put her in her water bowl after holding her she will stay there for like an hour before moving.

She likes her heat light a lot, I find her just sitting under it for a while with her head reaching way up just basking away

edwardbo

5 Year Member
mine love sweet potatoes, never blue berrys ,will eat mazuri almost always like kale and endive,cooked carrots.(i just fed them mazuri soaked in chicken soup)yvonne just put up an article link under a can you id this (forgot exact name of post,lots of french translation)however the article said never protien just veg. but mentioned other peoples torts grew faster (after saying theirs grew too fast) the article looked very old . did other people give protien ?tell me about her plastron, soft, leathery ? sounds like you got a sweet ,outgoing one ,good for you . can i ask why just one? pm me if you want .sounds like you ate very happy ,good for you.

i also gigiv night crawlers , worms and omega turtle sticks , fish. they do like fiberous greens often going after the stems instead of the leafy part as the article stated . its so late cant type any more . congrats.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I only got one because of the $$$ and it's hard to find any for sell.

Her plastron isn't smooth, it's more gritty than leathery though.. Hard to describe /explain.
Plastron is her bottom shell right? I just want to be sure we mean same thing.
Feels just like the sullys I bought