My New Baby, Found Him At the Beach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Hopefully your reptile store guy is better than the average... I generally have to go in and educate the local pet shop folks...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Gulf Coast said:
I had no idea they would nest or live so close to the beach..

Predation by large birds is quite common for baby tortoises. More than likely a crow or some other large bird accidentally dropped him closer to the beach.

Yvonne

sunniebch said:
Chadk,
Yes, it does sound stupid; however, this little guy is only 2" long and he was next to the waters edge, birds flying around. He either went back to my place or he would have been eaten by the birds...I don't know, I couldn't just walk away and leave him there. We actually thought a tourist dumped him or a bird dropped him.
So far, he is happy and I will at least let his mouth heal. He still has a little hole next to his beak that I've been putting neosporin on.
I feel stupid as it is; however, I'm still going to get him ID'd by the pet store/reptile guy today, just to be sure. This will be really heart breaking if I have to let him go, which that is what I think I'm going to have to do!!!
thank you for all of your concerns and great feedback.

Personally, I think you did the right thing! He wouldn't have stood a chance where he was. Try to find a turtle and tortoise rescue in your area and see what you can do that way. Here in Calif. you are not supposed to touch a desert tortoise. If they even catch you moving one out of the middle of the highway, you could be in big trouble.

Yvonne

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Predation by large birds is quite common for baby tortoises. More than likely a crow or some other large bird accidentally dropped him closer to the beach.

Ahh now that makes more sense.. because I know here we have beaches and have never heard of a GT near the beach, but have heard of GT living 35 miles inland..

sunniebc~ Don't beat yourself over it.. I would have done the same thing, and have but not with babies (yet!! lol) My little adventure was (and is) with the Alabama Red Bellied Turtle which is also on the Federal Endangered Species list. Not suppose to touch them/pick them up or anything!!! Of course I learn this after Danny here ID this strange turtle that we kept finding in our yard and of course this happened after we had picked her up and took lots of pictures. lol.. Once again, we didn't have a clue.. Still wouldn't if Danny hadn't ID the turtle.. As it turned out by us doing what we did (and Im not saying for everyone to go out and break any laws) I was able to get in touch with very important people. ;) The nest sites have been marked, we were able to watch in amazement an endangered species dig her nest, lay her eggs and watch as she covered up her nest.. At that time we still didn't know she was on the Endangered list. When the eggs hatch they will be collected (by a person who has the right permits) collect the data, mark the babies then release them from my area.. I am looking forward to the day these babies hatch, grow up and come back to my yard to nest.. and of course now, I know what to look for... :D BUTTTTT if I hadn't took those first pictures or my youngest hadn't seen that first female laying eggs and of course Danny giving us the ID.. The babies wouldn't be safe.. For the one nest I am 100% sure because we were going to plant flower beds right where that nest is.. The spot is 2 or 3 foot out my front door.. She laid them right at my door.. :D Which by the way the fine for the ARBC it is $10,000.. lol..

What I am trying to say, don't beat yourself up, sometime fate works in crazy ways. :D You meant no harm and was only trying to help.. Get in touch with the proper people and they will help you.. Who knows, maybe finding this little tort will change your life in a good way, I know finding out about the ARBC has changed mine.. :D

P.S. Not giving any advice for anyone to break the law.. Just telling my own personal experience.. Always thinking with my heart and not with my head.. lol..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I hope she did not take our words unkindly, I dont know of anyone here who might not have picked up the little guy, especially since it does look a little like a sully. I am just saying now that you know it is time to do the right thing, rerelease him/her back into where he /she should be, and I don't think I would call anyone because they might destroy him/her.

sunniebch

5 Year Member
No offense taken here, I'm very grateful for all of the advice and experience you all have.
I am rereleasing FeFe tomorrow morning back to the same dune he/she came from....don't get me wrong, there will be tears.

thanks again!

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
this is pretty cool - that this forum did this

provided her info with how to take of her sulcata
then helped her realize it wasn't a sulcata
and then guided her in the right direction so now FeFe can live

i just think its cool - its moments like this that I am in awe of this forum!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Why would fish and game euthanize it? I bet there is a rehab group for them or something..
I thought I read somewhere that they dont suffer from the same URI like our desert torts do...

swatz

5 Year Member
FL
Actually what you have is a baby Gopher tortoise.I live in central Florida and have raised numerous Gophers and later release in the wild. They do you look very similiar to a sulcata but their color will change not long from now. They are wonderful tortoises but are protected due to habitat destruction.Sorry for the bad news.............but they are so cute at that age

rakadel

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
I would almost bet my lunch money.. that IS a Gopher hatchling; still has signs of his egg-tooth. They are yellow like that when they hatch and don't have those big 'scales' on their front legs like a Sulcata does.

Sulcata hatchlings are tan and have those big scales on their front legs.. remember?

BTW.. I won't tell but.. they { Gopher tortoises } are endangered.

Terry K

lunch money :p cute.

I also lean towards gopher. Whats the diagnosis? You going to permanently keep?

sunniebch

5 Year Member
rakadel said:
Redfoot NERD said:
I would almost bet my lunch money.. that IS a Gopher hatchling; still has signs of his egg-tooth. They are yellow like that when they hatch and don't have those big 'scales' on their front legs like a Sulcata does.

Sulcata hatchlings are tan and have those big scales on their front legs.. remember?

BTW.. I won't tell but.. they { Gopher tortoises } are endangered.

Terry K

lunch money :p cute.

I also lean towards gopher. Whats the diagnosis? You going to permanently keep?
Yay, He is pretty much a gopher tortoise! I will not say what I will do with him b/c I don't want to be considered to be one that breaks the law. He is in a very quiet, safe and happy place...
I want to thank ALL of YOU for great feedback and advice, you have been very KIND!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi , just read through this thread and have to say you guys are all respectful, nice, a chuckful of info. I would have had a very hard time not picking up a tiny hatchling also, unless I knew for sure it was native.
Great place to be, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.