My new Female Pancake :)

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Finally went ahead and bought my first female pancake tortoise, and she is definitely a beaut!!! I can't thank Craig enough from reptilepetsdirect.com. Now it's just waiting time for eggs :) I know my male alibumba will be happy. Also anyone have any ideas for names?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
This is a BEAUTY......for name: No ideas.......... Because I was stunned by her beauty.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I went for this one because i figured she was more mature with all of her shell being sun bleached

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
i'll try taking initial weights and measurements this afternoon on the female, that way i can possibly track weight gain for egg production.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Looking forward to hear your success of breeding them. Best wishes.....

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
She looks a bit still juvenile from the photo to me. What is her length? Usually I see some of the females in our group lay an egg a year, they are always infertile. I get the best producers, and fertility with the eldest specimens. Which tend to be 7-8" I have also gotten multiple eggs in single clutches. Years back I received some spectacular specimens from Tanzania. They were classic elder pancakes, no color, no star, just brown. Which they all will end up looking like after many many decades. I got 3 eggs out of one of the females. Only 2 were fertile though. Good luck though. They are super fun.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
She is very pretty. My pancake looks like a hot pocket. She's a fat girl. Was skinny when I got her. She has had 4 babies for me. Good luck.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Lovely! :)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Thanks Stojan!!! She was a beautiful girl, sadly she passed away 3wks after I acquired her. Cause of death was not determined, no worms no respiratory issues or egg binding. But thats one of the expectations for imports.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Thanks Stojan!!! She was a beautiful girl, sadly she passed away 3wks after I acquired her. Cause of death was not determined, no worms no respiratory issues or egg binding. But thats one of the expectations for imports.
Oh man...I'm sorry:(!!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Just the way it goes some times. Best to find LTC that have been taken care of for at least 2yrs.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Over 350 gms she's good to produce eggs, 400 to 450 is better. I have found it difficult to detect that they are gravid by monitoring weight gain. On the other side of that a sudden weight loss 20 to 30 grams would indicate an eggs is about. I also see my females eat with a passion right after dropping an egg.

With good food support she can lay a new single egg for up to five times a year, about 24 to 28 days apart. Something I have noticed is clean water availability seems to drive their signal that it's good to produce and lay eggs, maybe just a justification I tell myself for all the water dish cleaning, but it seems so.

Pancakes are so cool, I hope to see egg and neonate images in the future.