My new friend!

lbailey4487

Location (City and/or State)
Princeton, WV
I finally got my new friend from a rescue in NC! Any way to tell how old he is? The former owner said 2 years. I’m guessing older? I don’t have the best pictures of him yet. He’s still upset from the move and keeps digging under the substrate.

Attachments

• IMG_6282.jpeg
    IMG_6282.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6281.jpeg
    IMG_6281.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Oh congratulations!! Did you decide to set up indoors or outdoors in the end? Don’t suppose you’d be up to sharing a pic of your new enclosure?😊he’ll definitely take some time to settle in🥰

And yeah definitely looks older than 2, that looks like a potentially full grown, wild caught adult🙂

Reactions: Ink

lbailey4487

Princeton, WV
I am building a bigger indoor and an outdoor enclosure. For just the moment, he’s in the 3 X 5 tortoise table. My teacher friend and principal had me write up a grant for materials to make even larger enclosures than planned, so I’m waiting to see how that turns out. If I don’t hear from them within about a week, I’m setting up a 4 X 8 raised garden bed that I have at home inside and buying the materials for the 10 X 12 outdoor one a piece each payday in order to have it ready for spring. After around the end of this month or early next, he will have to stay indoors most of the time. Right now he’s either scared or sulking, so I figured I have a minute.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
It takes a tortoise awhile to get use to a new enclosure

lbailey4487

Princeton, WV
And I do fear he’s a wild-caught adult. The former owner who surrendered him to rescue bought him and a female at Petsmart in March 2022. Apparently she was told he was only a few months old, as I now know is common in pet stores. Now I have no way to know how old he is! I’m also very sad for him. I’d never support wild caught torts being sold, but you get all kinds in the rescue world. I’m now just determined to give him the best life I can!

lbailey4487

Princeton, WV
This is his temporary home before I plugged everything up, etc. He’s also got several plants in there now. I’ll have to get some better pictures tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_6036.jpeg
    IMG_6036.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1