Status
Not open for further replies.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire, UK
734023_10151351793586333_67438996_n.jpg

Hi Guys,

Got this fella yesterday and he is stomping around his enclosure, eating and drinking.

I just wanted to ask about his shell... am I right in thinking that he has a pyramidded shell?

Also, on his plastron, it isn't smooth, it sort of goes in. I don't want to disturb him too much to get a picture just get, but just wanted to know what causes that?

I bought him off a private breeder, although he has only been breeding for a couple of years and this guy is off his first clutch. He is a September 2011 hatchling.

When I asked how often he soaked the tortoises, he said he didn't, he just provided them with a big dish of water.

Will the shell smooth out in time?

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
Hahahah, thank you. When I went, there were 3 for sale and I wanted to take them all, they were all very different too. We decided on the fastest in the end... he likes to run about!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is some pyramiding. If he is not too old, you can get new growth to grow in smoother. Just get him housed correctly a good diet, and plenty of sunshine. If the plastron is concaved, it may be a sign that he, is a he:D

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
We're in the process of building an outdoor enclosure, so he should get plenty of sun (fingers crossed) when summer arrives. He's 18 months old. Should I bathe him every day, or just a few times a week?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Congrats , you will soon fall deeper in love with your Hermanns, they are awesome!

janst

5 Year Member
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hi he is lovely my two have shells just like yours. I soak mine every couple of days, today I put them in our bath and watched them for ages they kept ducking their heads and blowing bubbles, it was very amusing to watch, they seem much more active after a good soaking.
Janet

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
I'll have to try him in the bath. I didn't want to stress him out too much today, so I only soaked him for 5 minutes, although he seems nonplussed by everything. I'm surprised at how quickly he seems to have settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.