My new red foots

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Whoa, now that's a gorgeous collection! Didn't you get your first tortoise this summer? The tort bug certainly bit you hard! :p Beautiful animals.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I purchased 10 new tortoises. looks like 3 males and 7 females. The smallest male is the most colorful I wonder if his color will fade as he gets bigger.
If anything, my RF get MORE colorful as they age. The red one looks like he's part cherry head.

SouthernRFT

If anything, my RF get MORE colorful as they age. The red one looks like he's part cherry head.
Yes I was wondering if he was somehow a cherry head or high colored (The smaller one in the food).
Yes I am in Florida and I did ask for a deal on a group but they couldn't because the vendor said they weren't actually his but he was selling them for a friend who already has them at the lowest price. I am pretty sure I got them right around wholesale for their size. They had a lot of good started ones probably 6-7" but a little too small to sex accurately so I figured I would play it safe and not end up with too many males. Really nice shells there was only one big female with slight pyramiding and I passed on her and she was purchased minutes later.

Zeropilot what do you mean by unusually nicely started? Their condition?

SouthernRFT

Yours are definitely not bad looking at all. My first redfoot looks like the one that isn't marked shell wise.
What are the marks on the shells for? The water looks interesting do you have more pics of the enclosure?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The marks are to help me identify them. 1,2 and 3 aren't named. I was doing a routine deworming and had to keep track of who ate what...I have some random shots of the enclosure. It has two night houses, three hides and two water ponds and a misting system.
I also have a pen inside my screened patio that has a house on one end and a misting system.
Then there is the open topped pen in my yard that was for my solitary male. It's now spare space....
It has no misting system but gets blasted by my sprinkler system.
The one shot shows my sun room used for winter housing and both of the largest pens including the fully covered one that has been made "cat proof".

20150817_175550.jpg 20150419_162718-1.jpg 20150515_150721.jpg 20150206_112345.jpg 20150501_135207-1.jpg 20150515_150937.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SouthernRFT

Very nice thank you for sharing. They look very happy outdoors and I bet appreciate the misters on hot days. I am expanding my pen here soon and am contemplating putting in a concrete pool with a drain.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Are you handy with stuff like that?
I could help. Too bad I didn't make mine larger or with drains.
I paddle out the water with a rubber squeegee and wipe them out.
Mine are fiberglass resin sealed. I tried other cement sealers and wasn't happy with them.

SouthernRFT

Are you handy with stuff like that?
I could help. Too bad I didn't make mine larger or with drains.
I paddle out the water with a rubber squeegee and wipe them out.
Mine are fiberglass resin sealed. I tried other cement sealers and wasn't happy with them.

Yes it's pretty easy. I would say the only labor part would be mixing the concrete. I decided not to do the concrete pool since I won't be staying here for much longer than a year. I'm extending the pen length wise and I got a 26" hot water heater pan for a bigger water area that I will sink in the ground a few inches to make it level and it's light enough to dump, spray out, and refill daily. I want to see how one looks before I get another. At least with your water holes that ramp makes it easy for them to access and for you to sweep out I like the design simple and effective.

Unfortunately it started raining so I didn't get it done today but will tomorrow. They will have 8' wide by 16' deep to roam. It will all be very easy to take apart and take with me when I move.