MY NEW RES

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He was left in a box on the sidewalk. I guess he got to big. Sad that people can just dump them. I have been looking for a couple for my pond. Craigslist is free, why can't they just post an ad and give him away. Well he his bigger then I wanted, but what could I do. I won't and couldn't just turn my back on him. So he came home with me and seems to be settleing in pretty good. Not sure if it is male or female. Haven't looked, he's big though and shell doesn't look bad.
RES 008.JPG

trying out tiny pic below. Hope it worked
dmza04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Good for you,nice pond, at that size you can tell male from female by the length of the front toenails, the male will have very long nails, funny thing is when I saw the pic the first thing that came to mind was moonshine, what I used to get from NC was always in a plastic pepsi bottle.

LindaF

5 Year Member
I bet the poor turtle thinks he has died and gone to heaven! Going from trapped and dumped off in a box to your beautiful pond!!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks everyone. Yes it is a female. She seems to have adapted really well. Of course not use to us yet, so dives off the log every time we are out there, but hopefully she will catch on and relax.

Len said:
Good for you,nice pond, at that size you can tell male from female by the length of the front toenails, the male will have very long nails, funny thing is when I saw the pic the first thing that came to mind was moonshine, what I used to get from NC was always in a plastic pepsi bottle.

LOL that pepsi bottle is my failed attempt to catch all the wasp and bees that keeps hanging out around the water sources in the yard. I have three bottles out and have not caught one bee or wasp, not even a measly fly:( I guess the oil I had put in, to make sure they couldn't get back out over powered the sweet smell of sugar:D

Status
Not open for further replies.