RES Swimming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Duluth, MN
I just got a RES yesterday, he has been swimming the whole time! we have a place that he can rest on, it is a piece of wood that is easily big enough and it dips down just below water level. We've put him on it a few times, but he jumps right off. Is it safe for him to be swimming all the time? Should his wood be a few inches under the water so he can gradually go on it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
UMDRunner said:
I just got a RES yesterday, he has been swimming the whole time! we have a place that he can rest on, it is a piece of wood that is easily big enough and it dips down just below water level. We've put him on it a few times, but he jumps right off. Is it safe for him to be swimming all the time? Should his wood be a few inches under the water so he can gradually go on it?

He's really scared. You should probably siphon out most of the water until he gets used to his new habitat. Just have a bit of water so he can rest on the bottom and raise his head up to breathe. After a week, you can add some water and see how he takes it. You just might have to add a bit at a time. Also, you need a dock that is more or less stationary. Sometimes its hard for the little guys to climb up on one that moves away from them.

Yvonne

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
When I brought mine home I added a little (inch or so) at a time over a couple of weeks, they did great, Mine swim a lot but they also bask, But they will swim quite a bit.

sick_lids

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ada, oklahoma
mine are constant swimers as well. they bask but no where near as much as they swim.

Status
Not open for further replies.