My new russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
K so I got a new Russian tortoise I just wanted all the tips and tricks other Russian owners have to offer. I've read all sorts of books and that but I want to know what works for experts here

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
There's a search engine on this site. Type in the box what exactly you want to know and you'll get all the answers you need. Good luck with your new tort!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Uhhhh, first of all pics of the newest family member is kinda an unspoken requirement....lol :p..(but seriously, we want pics),,

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
His names Franklin (I tend to call him Fran-Nankalin).

I posted pictures they don't show on my iPod, I'll keep trying

Try this time

Attachments

• image-1477022393.png
    image-1477022393.png
    181.5 KB · Views: 48
  • image-925475956.png
    image-925475956.png
    254.2 KB · Views: 51
  • image-2918724359.png
    image-2918724359.png
    216.6 KB · Views: 52
  • image-3776721024.png
    image-3776721024.png
    753.6 KB · Views: 56
  • image-3634182124.png
    image-3634182124.png
    292.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2373525772.png
    image-2373525772.png
    865.2 KB · Views: 55
  • image-1426092457.png
    image-1426092457.png
    223.1 KB · Views: 43
  • image-1785123891.png
    image-1785123891.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 53
  • image-2041438308.png
    image-2041438308.png
    746.7 KB · Views: 48
  • image-2095991427.png
    image-2095991427.png
    181.5 KB · Views: 28
  • image-326287963.png
    image-326287963.png
    223.1 KB · Views: 26
  • image-629806222.png
    image-629806222.png
    292.9 KB · Views: 23
  • image-474478033.png
    image-474478033.png
    746.7 KB · Views: 34

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Well, how about you tell us how he's being kept and the Russian experts can make sure everything's okay. Whats his setup like? What kind of lights do you have? What do you feed him?
What are the temps in his enclosure? Indoors or outdoors? Stuff like that.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Ok he currently lives in a 20g long (small I know but that's all I can accommodate inside) I plan to build an outdoor setup for him by next summer, but currently let him wander often (supervised of course)
His substrate is zoomed calcium sand but I definately plan to change that when I get the money cuz even I dislike it. It's around 2-3 inches deep but he can't really burrow which is why I plan to get new stuff ( sand made the most sense at the time but now not so much)
He has a log just big enough to hide in and a small and medium plants. His food dishes are the pet store type which has to change since the waters just barely big enough to soak in. Suggestions?
The lights are on 1 side a dual fixture with red night heat bulb, and daytime basking both 100 watts and from zoomed. And on the opposite side is the UVB light (know its by zoomed not sure witch one )
The temps I'm pretty sure are off, the headlamp side is around 90 day and I think 85 at night. And the UVB side stays around 84. Humidity varies like crazy, is there a tank dehumidifier? Or does it not matter as long as its not super humid?
He gets fed currently romain lettuce, some pea shutes, cucumbers and tomatoes ( man does he like his tomatoes!) and currently I've been feeding every other day since iv been feeding too much and he doesn't eat the second day, how much should I feed? And he's about 4.5-5 inches (shell length).
He's from petco (bad I know) but he's been very healthy so far very active man can he run. Some urates here and there. Does not like soaking but I do about a 15 minute one once a week, he poops alot in his soakings! And will not calm down.
He does have a dent in the back oh his shell but it's hard so we assume it's from less than awesome pet store treatment.
I do not know if he's WC or CB so of anyone knows that I'd like to know. Also judging by size could you tell me how old he is? Or more info? I'd live to know an estimate of my baby's age.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It would be a good idea to get rid of the sand as a substrate and change to cypress mulch, coir, or organic topsoil. Keep the underlayers of these substrates moist, they can dry out on top. Most of us use only a small amount of sand with with other substrates, or no sand at all. There may be sand in their natural environment, but it is MUCH deeper and they can burrow down several feet if needed to stay moist.

Have you seen this site? generally a lot of good information about diet, etc.
They thrive on greens and weeds. Try to avoid fruits (including tomato) except rarely.
http://russiantortoise.net/

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
A cheap and easy indoor substitute would be a big rubbermaid 55 gal, those work nice.

The dent is probably from shipping, and 99% chance of him being a WC if he's from a pet store.

He isn't full grown yet, and will probably get to around 8 inches, but maybe as small as 6.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Russians are pretty simple really to take care of. A nice big home, access to water, food, and sunlight are the basics and make for a happy tortoise.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Their diet should also consist mainly of weeds, there is a big list of all the different edible weeds in the diet section. Tomatoes and cucumber should be just fed as a treat as their not v good for them, neither is romaine lettuce. Franklin is adorable!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
An odd question, our home tap water has arsenic in it, we have a little tank for drinking water but there's no control if temperature. It would be bad to soak frankin in the arsenic right? And would it be ok if I microwaved some drinking water and made sure it was a nice warm and not to hot?

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
You can microwave or heat water on the stove. 90 to 95 degrees is ideal. If your Russian is indoors at night i don't think you need a night time heating bulb. They can be kept in the 60s at night and I can't imagine your house is any colder than that. The enclosure should have a cool spot in the 70s during the day with a warm basking spot in the mid 90s. Potted plant saucers work really well for water dishes. They are wide and flat for easy access. You definitely need a much bigger enclosure. A 50 gallon tub or a bookshelf laid on its back with the shelves removed work well. Letting the tortoise wander around outside a secure enclosure can be dangerous and stressfull. You don't always know what they are eating or how cold they are getting. There may also be dangerous chemicals from cleaning products and other things.

I would definitely get him to the vet for a check up. At the very least get him tested for parasites. A lot of the petco tortoises come with those included. Try to find a vet specializing in reptiles.

Read everything you can! Unfortunately there are a lot of contradictory sources but read it all and ask specific questions.

Good luck!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
smarch said:
An odd question, our home tap water has arsenic in it, we have a little tank for drinking water but there's no control if temperature. It would be bad to soak frankin in the arsenic right? And would it be ok if I microwaved some drinking water and made sure it was a nice warm and not to hot?

Arsenic is just as poisonous for them as it is for us, so completely avoid that water with arsenic in it. As for the drinking water, you can warm it up, but only a little bit. Make sure it is lukewarm before putting your tortoise in it for a bath, or he will get scalded. Also, I would make the following changes to your husbandry:

1) Switch from a 20L tank to a 55-gallon Rubbermaid tote (~$20 at your local hardware store).

2) Switch from Calci-Sand to pure coconut coir. Moisten the coco coir to provide a humid microclimate (relative humidity from 30-60% is fine for a Russian tortoise).

3) Russian tortoises need ambient (cool-side) temperatures in the 70s, and a basking spot of 95-100*F. They also prefer nighttime temperatures in the 60s, so there is no need to leave the heat on at night.

4) Feed him mostly leafy greens and weeds, such as:
Romaine lettuce
Prickly lettuce (weed)
Endive
Escarole
Chicory
Dandelion (store-bought or weed)
Arugula
Kale
Collard
Mustard greens
Spring mix (which consists of lettuce, arugula, spinach, and other plants)

Your tortoise might also like flowers. Offer fruits only as a monthly treat. You can use cucumber, tomato, strawberries, raspberries, or grapes. Once a month, you can also offer your tortoise invertebrates like snails, slugs, or rolly-pollies (he probably won't eat worms).

Sprinkle a calcium/vitamin D3 supplement powder on his food about 3x per week (about every other day).

5) Take your little guy outside for some sunshine and exercise as often and for as long as possible.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I never give my Russians fruit I feel its not good for them

noved32

5 Year Member
Hi, I too have only had my Russian for a little bit (about two months) but he seems to just fit right in. Well today for the first time as a treat I gave him strawberry tips (mostly just the greens with tiny!!! Bit of fruit on it) he turned his nose up at it and went after his turnip greens and spring mix lol!! On thing I know Bob (my RT) is prickly pear fruit... Only little slice but he loves it!! Good luck with ur new little man!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I currently have no space for the 55 gallon tote, I mean I plan to give him one but I currently live with my parents and the 20 long was the biggest I could get to fit somewhere

I do plan to make him an outdoor enclosure by next summer but currently don't have the means (although I may be moved out by then so he can get his tote but not nessesarily the outdoor enclosure.) I'm also not sure if I feed him too much but I'll feed him one day then the next he wants nothing to do with it, I also currently have a bird cuttlebone in there (just so he has the option) I plan to get a

Tortoise one but have to find one.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I think all cuttle bones are marketed for parrot keepers. We tortoise keepers just happen to need them, too. I remember going to a pet store a while back to buy a pack of cuttle bones, and the clerk got all excited because she thought she had a fellow bird-lover to chat with. When I told her it was for tortoises, she gave me this perplexed look, like she'd never heard of such a thing! :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I know I saw some little ones at petsmart tho (but mostly petco is my choice since I'm a fish lover and iv noticed they know some stuff and fish iv got from petsmart came sick) and petcos closer lol. But I definately saw them before I got my Franklin, they were cute and little :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
smarch said:
Anyone ever fed a Russian broccoli?

Yes, I have a couple times. Broccoli is one of those plants you're not supposed to feed a tortoise, because it is high in oxalic acid. Also, given how tough it is, I didn't consider it edible. However, after someone else here on TFO said their Russian tortoise ate broccoli, I decided to try it for myself. Much to my surprise, both my Russians ate it! Probably not as avidly as other, leafier plants, but they did seem to like it. I won't make a habit of feeding it to them, but I might offer it again from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.