? about tortoises on their backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lester2011

5 Year Member
K I read online that a tortoise will die if it's on it's back. Is this true? My Russian tortoise fell on his back after trying to climb his tank (I'm buying him a new one soon) and fell backwards and my boyfriend and I got scared if he was to do that when we were not home that he would die. Does anyone know?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
RE: ?

Yes, he could die. However, it usually takes some time before that happens. It would be less time, if for example it was under a heat lamp or out in the hot sun. If it was in water and then it may actually drown. Also the size of the tortoise makes a difference too. Two male tortoises of some species will on purpose get their competition over on their backs.

lester2011

5 Year Member
He's not very big. It just worries me if he on his back for awhile it'll make him die. I really don't kno if it's male or female we assume male. The heat isn't too strong I just didn't no if the way they're made would be why he can't be on his back.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they can die on their backs it is usually from over heating, and from exhaustion, the way their lungs are set up they have difficulty breathing on their backs and after awhile they just stop. It is not instant death and if you find them on their backs and they are still alive then they should be just fine. I have found mine on their backs often times and I just flip them back over.

lester2011

5 Year Member
Thank u. Ya we found him on his back and flipped him back over and he's fine now. I just don't want him to do it again.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Also, many tortoises can flip themselves back over. He's not necessarily dependent on you to do it for him. It just may take a little time and rocking if you're not there to turn him over.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
There is really not alot that you can do to stop it from happening...what I mean is, they are an upside down bowl and they are also daredevils= tortoise on their back from time to time....

You can arrange the enclosure/outdoors to remove any obvious traps...but even then it may happen, so if you come upon them on their back, make sure to flip them back over slowly....and if they have released their bowel/urinated then I would simply clean em up and soak them to let them rehydrate... IMHO :D

But yes, it is a disturbing sight to come upon...just not right...

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
About 15 years ago, a friend of mine wanted our box turtles to breed. She said we could each choose a hatchling and split the money from the others, we had plans of care sheets for every BT, even bought an incubator.

Well we put them in together and his poor Box turtle kept winding up on his back.

You see Cleo would wait until he got just high enough then she would turn causing him to fall off and wind up on his back. After a few days, the poor male ending up on his back at least a dozen times. She asked me to make sure Cleo was a female and I took Cleo home. I guess some of us are not made to be parents.

She ended up getting a beautiful Florida (I think) Box female. Produced some very pretty Three toed, Florida box turtle hybrids, I never bought one, I was and still am a little bit against hybrids. Sorry if that sound judgemental.

Added: I looked at the Cross Species breeding threads and weird how much so many of us agree, but still keep cool heads in the discussion...mostly.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
cross species....totally another thread...search for it and you will find out what all feel about that one.....LOL :p:p:p:p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.