My new Russians are driving me crazy. Enclosure advice needed.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
So in reality it's not so much a drive, but short putt.:cool:
Anyway, I rescued these 2 female characters a couple of weeks ago. Until I can get them outside their enclosure is substandard. It is 7feet long with an attached tote. The substrate is coco husk in the enclosure, only about 2 inches, but coco Coir in the tote, about 10 inches. I was afraid one of them had eggs n needed a nesting area. Anyway they used the hide the first couple of days, and would dig and bury there, but I added some stuff and a pot type hide in the main area and now they dig there. It is just a shipping crate that I lined with plastic and they are tearing it up.
Any suggestions on how to make the hide area more attractive? I have it covered so as to be a humid hide. Should I uncover it and maybe move the basking area where the deep dirt is? What part of the enclosure do they typically dig in the most?
The good news is they have both gained weight since I got them. :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would make the substrate at least 6 inches deep everywhere. And they usually tend to dig in corners or next to an object. Your enclosure really isn't that bad, much bigger than what they had. So don't feel guilty about that. They will get outside soon enough. they always dig at night to get comfortable I guess. Do you have an updated picture of the enclosure? I can't seem to find the other thread. mine quit digging so much after I put down more substrate.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It's not really high enough or strong enough to go deeper everywhere. That's why the attached tote, to accommodate digging :mad:
Not just yhe size that is substandard lol. It is an old shipping crate, so not strong or well built.

0212150609a.jpg 0212150609b.jpg 0212150609.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You could cover part of it that the light isn't above and add more substrate there. He just cover it with a board or plexiglass or a window.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
You could cover part of it that the light isn't above and add more substrate there. He just cover it with a board or plexiglass or a window.
I am afraid the bottom will fall out or the whole thing will fall apart. Isn't there a way to encourage them to dig in the tote area?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I hear ya.....more dirt means more weight and the bottom giving way would be bad...

I don't know if you can encourage them to dig in the tote. That's why many recommend putting the hides where the torts want them rather than getting them to move.

You could try your basking light move idea. Only one was to find out if that works..

Or you just deal with hearing them scratch. Is that the part driving you nuts?
Soon enough they'll be outside.... ?? Wish I had a definite answer for ya...sorry.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Try adding more heat to the area with the deepest substrate. Maybe they will spend more time digging in that area.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I hear ya.....more dirt means more weight and the bottom giving way would be bad...

I don't know if you can encourage them to dig in the tote. That's why many recommend putting the hides where the torts want them rather than getting them to move.

You could try your basking light move idea. Only one was to find out if that works..

Or you just deal with hearing them scratch. Is that the part driving you nuts?
Soon enough they'll be outside.... ?? Wish I had a definite answer for ya...sorry.
Not soon enough lol. Think I will do some rearranging this weekend. The part driving me nuts is the ripping up the plastic. I am afraid they might eat it.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Or you could line the bottom/side with the vinyl floor pieces. ?
I bought the stick on kind for less than $1 each at lowes. at 12"x12" you'd only need 7. Then caulk the edges. Kinda a more permanent solution but it's cheap enough and there is no mold or eating worries.