My New Sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Torts 041.JPGTorts 044.JPGFinally home from picking up my new Sulcatas, Babette and little Scarlet. They are now exploring their new turtle table and relaxing after a very long drive. I love them dearly already!

Last edited by a moderator:

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Irwin4530 said:
CONGRATS!

Thank you! Wow, juvenile or sub-adult sullie poo sure is a lot different than hatchling poo, lol. My chow was very intrigued by it!

:p
pryncesssc said:
Aww cute ! Congrats :)

Thank you!!!

wellington said:
Toooooo Cuuute:D the two of you look as giddy as two parents of a new human baby:D

Thank you very much! The humans in the pic are actually my teen daugther and her cousin. Tyler was not so sure he wanted to touch a tort at first, but Babette quickly won him over!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tara:

I was expecting a couple tortoises that were much bigger than that. I'll bet you're going to be surprised by their gender. Most of the sulcatas we come across are male and those two are too young to really tell yet.

Let us see a good picture of their under side especially the tail area.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
They are sleeping now, but their plastron is very flat and tails and very short and chubby.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
TaraDodrill said:
They are sleeping now, but their plastron is very flat and tails and very short and chubby.

Yes, all very young tortoises have flat plastrons and small tails. They don't develop the male concave plastron and fat tail until they get bigger than your two. That's why I wanted to see a picture of their underside. We can sometimes tell the gender by looking at the anal scutes.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Congrats on the new sulcatas. Let us see some pictures of them exploring their new tortoise table.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. More pics to come tomorrow. I want to go take more now and check in them every five minutes. But Zbobby keeps reminding me to give them some down time to adjust, he is right, it's just sooo hard to leave them be, lol. Babette seems to really enjoy the hide box. She goes back and makes a good burrow, then comes back out to explore, bask a bit then back to perfecting her burrow. Scarlet seems to follow her around a lot. The anal scutes also seem to indicate a female Sullie. If not, I'm entirely ok with that and will just change their names to Hooper (fav Burt Reynolds movie) and Rhett. I'm just glad to have found healthy torts in need of a forever home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice. You will have many happy years with them. Its really neat to look out at your giants and think back to when they were so little... In a few years you'll know just what I mean.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
They are beauties! I was expecting big guys too for some reason, this way you gate to watch them grow! Congrats on the successful rescue!

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
The way the man rehomin them talked and estimated weight I thought they were bigger too. Glad they are smaller and I get to watch them grow too. My hubby has to build a new tort table tonite. The one he made me before Christmas was for a hatchling, so it was huge for Hondo, but not for these girls. I am afraid that willful and stubborn Babette will climb onto submissive Scarlet and get out. They need more walking around room and higher sides. Bobby is picking up supplies today for a new box which will fill the entire fold out banquet table.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's always the fun (for me) in tortoise keeping. I'm always a little let down when all the projects are built and there's nothing new to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.