Spring Mix Freaks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
My shelled family members are simply nuts over spring mix!! It is the only healthy Sulcata diet item recommended on the forum they hadn't tried. I have been looking for some since February! Our local grocery store didn't have any until this week. There are 4 Walmarts in the area, each about 35 miles away, none of them had it either surprisingly.

They are HUGE fans! I picked up two more bags this morning and put them in the tort fridge with their other greens. They love all of the edible landscaping and grasses growing in their indoor and outdoor enclosures, but I think spring mix ranks up there with dandelions in the minds of my lovely reptiles.

Bo Scarlet ( no longer a Scarelet for sure, but couldn't drop the female name entirely yet. He recognized his name so I just added the new one and will phase out the other one. They each respond to their names, they really do, I'm not nuts ;). Babette comes when called, except when she doesn't feel like it lol) is a picky ester and was more growth stunted and pyramided than Babs when I rescued them, so the spring mix addiction may help him grow. Fingers crossed!

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
My Little Guy makes spring mix disappear everytime he gets it :p
Def a great food item for a varied diet..

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
:p SURPRIZE! :D Have you tried Cactuse yet? I was amazed when WalkingRock devoured it like it was potatoe Chips! One of those thing I heard about but had not tried till a couple of months ago. I bring it out now and he will runn across the yard for it!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
do you have a Costco near you? they have it inlarge tubs.. good for people too!
Lots of other mixes are fine too.. but like others.. good as part of a Varied Diet. Outside grazing is best.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
No Costco within a two hour drive. We only have two stoplights in our county, one isn't even a legally valid one anymore lol. Zamrux, Cactuse? Something I can order?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
TaraDodrill said:
Zamrux, Cactuse? Something I can order?

Cactus can be found in any Mexican Grocery store in the produce isle. There is a Grocery here in Dallas called "Fiesta" that sell is for $.59 a pound and I belive there are several people here on TFO that sell and ship it.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Zamric,

Oh cactus lol. I thought Cactuse was some kind of cactus feed lol. There is only one grocery store in our county and I haven't been able to find optunia at Lowe's on the adjacent county or at the local greenhouse. Will keep looking. They do really like the succulents from the edible landscaping list I have been able to find.

Brad4130

5 Year Member
My lil guy devours the organic spring mix from WholeFoods with a few dandelion green thrown in .

Attachments

• image-541670366.png
    image-541670366.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Well, I bought all the spring mix at the local grocery store. My torts are going to be very unhappy here in a few days when it runs out. Anyone know how long it will last in the fridge unopened? The tort office size fridge is definitely full. Maybe if I can fund a Whole Foods store address in Columbus my sister in law can grab me some before coming to down for a visit this weekend. Should I ask her to put it in a cooler during the hour + drive or will it be ok in the heat?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have the best luck keeping greens by placing them in a glass bowl and covering them with a damp towel and placing them in the frig. Don't wash them until you feed. I get them to last 5-7 days. Keep the towel damp and all greens covered. If your sister can get you some, I would have her keep them cool. If it's too hot, they might start to go bad. Cactus can be ordered online. Get the spineless ones. They still have little hair like pokies but not the long thorns. You can also plant the cactus in the ground and they should grow. I have read that most will survive northern winters. I have some planted, so we'll see if they last this winter.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Thanks Wellington. Optunia is the only kind of cactus I can't seem to find locally. I have decent luck not killing cactus, air plants and succulents, so if I ever find some locally or without shipping which cost almost as much as the cactus I will try to get some growing ;)

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
TaraDodrill said:
Thanks Wellington. Optunia is the only kind of cactus I can't seem to find locally. I have decent luck not killing cactus, air plants and succulents, so if I ever find some locally or without shipping which cost almost as much as the cactus I will try to get some growing ;)

If you PM me your address and info I will be happy to send you a few clippings off of my two plants. I'm sure that kept moist in a plastic bag they should make a few day mail trip.. On the spring mix, I only drive 3 miles from SAMs and I keep mine in a cooler,it tends to wilt fast in the Florida heat. I sometimes will rinse the red leaf lettuce or spring mix shake gently to remove water and place loosely in a zip lock bag with a moist paper towel. I do this with all my romaine as well and it stays for up to, Two weeks in my crisper draw...Willie and my husband eats it that way...

iluvtorts

5 Year Member
TaraDodrill said:
My shelled family members are simply nuts over spring mix!! It is the only healthy Sulcata diet item recommended on the forum they hadn't tried. I have been looking for some since February! Our local grocery store didn't have any until this week. There are 4 Walmarts in the area, each about 35 miles away, none of them had it either surprisingly.

They are HUGE fans! I picked up two more bags this morning and put them in the tort fridge with their other greens. They love all of the edible landscaping and grasses growing in their indoor and outdoor enclosures, but I think spring mix ranks up there with dandelions in the minds of my lovely reptiles.

Bo Scarlet ( no longer a Scarelet for sure, but couldn't drop the female name entirely yet. He recognized his name so I just added the new one and will phase out the other one. They each respond to their names, they really do, I'm not nuts ;). Babette comes when called, except when she doesn't feel like it lol) is a picky ester and was more growth stunted and pyramided than Babs when I rescued them, so the spring mix addiction may help him grow. Fingers crossed!

Another place to try is a restaurant supply place. I get mine in a 5 pound box even cheaper than costco or sams. I also buy 10 pound boxes of cactus.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
iluvtorts said:
Another place to try is a restaurant supply place. I get mine in a 5 pound box even cheaper than costco or sams. I also buy 10 pound boxes of cactus.

Where do you get the 10 pound boxes of cactus, restaurant supply too?

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
mary t said:
If you PM me your address and info I will be happy to send you a few clippings off of my two plants. I'm sure that kept moist in a plastic bag they should make a few day mail trip.. On the spring mix, I only drive 3 miles from SAMs and I keep mine in a cooler,it tends to wilt fast in the Florida heat. I sometimes will rinse the red leaf lettuce or spring mix shake gently to remove water and place loosely in a zip lock bag with a moist paper towel. I do this with all my romaine as well and it stays for up to, Two weeks in my crisper draw...Willie and my husband eats it that way...

Mary T,

That is so sweet of you! My address is ***address removed by moderator for poster's safety - please send address in PM, not on open forum***

ILUVTorts,

I will google restaurant supply places and the next time I go to Colimbus or Cincy I will see what they have. Great suggestion! Just an hour to three hour drive one-way to get to such a supplier from southern Ohio.

jacquiroell

5 Year Member
TaraDodrill said:
in Columbus my sister in law can grab me some before coming to down for a visit this weekend. Should I ask her to put it in a cooler during the hour + drive or will it be ok in the heat?
Where are you? Is this Ohio?

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
I was in or at least right by West Chester over the weekend. My daughter-in-law is from there. We all went to the zoo. Yes, we are in the middle of nowhere. No crime, beautiful scenery and can walk outside and start building onto our house or put up a fence without permission from some government department- but a long drive to go shopping or to do anything fun. My torts came from Covington, or at least a little burg between there and Newport. Can't remember the name now but it was only a ten minute drive from The Party Source to pick up some rum and daiquiri mix on the way home ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.