Spring mix users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine

5 Year Member
How can you still afford an electronic device to access this forum on? Haha, I am sending some sulcatas on their merry way this weekend and decided to offer them some spring mix so their new parents wouldn't have a hard time if they need to offer store bought greens. I was thinking it may take them some getting used to since it is not their usual fare....WRONG! I offered a 12oz package of spring mix to 6 two month old tortoises and it was gone before I turned around. I gave them another 12oz package, gone within the hour. Anyways they shouldn't have a problem adjusting but MAN I think I would go broke if I was feeding all I my tortoises (esp the adults!) only store bought organic greens! Feeling grateful for my yard and gardens today....

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
I don't have large tortoises, but I do supplement them all with Organic Spring mix. I do it, just to make sure they are eating. If the bowls are empty then I know they have eaten. If I see them munching on the plants, I hold off on the amount I give them..but they still get it.

Just my 2 cents worth. I think we all do what we feel is right by our tortoises...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The secret is to buy it in BULK. I buy it from Costco. Its about $4.50 for 32 ounces. That will last two or three days for a clutch. I feed it for the same reasons you do. I like my babies to be used to eating everything, so when they get where they are going the new owner has an easy time feeding them. I just made my own tub of spring mix from my planter this afternoon.:) Now that was gratifying...

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Many Members grow everything they feed, Store bought greens are great for variety's and for young torts who dont have a nack for grass, hay etc.
But yes i Defiantly feel you on that one, My guy would go throw alot of store greens and hes barley past a year :)

Katherine

5 Year Member
Well it was certainly not expensive to feed 24 ounces today, I think I paid maybe 12$ for both packages. I am just imagining feeding all of my tortoises spring mix as the base of their diet, just the sheer volume and the daily expense! Whew!

Tom said:
I just made my own tub of spring mix from my planter this afternoon.:) Now that was gratifying...

Ahh but short-lived, I hope you planted 'in bulk' too!

DixieParadise said:
I think we all do what we feel is right by our tortoises...
Completely agree- I know I sure try to : )

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
katherine said:
Well it was certainly not expensive to feed 24 ounces today, I think I paid maybe 12$ for both packages. I am just imagining feeding all of my tortoises spring mix as the base of their diet, just the sheer volume and the daily expense! Whew!

Tom said:
I just made my own tub of spring mix from my planter this afternoon.:) Now that was gratifying...

Ahh but short-lived, I hope you planted 'in bulk' too!

DixieParadise said:
I think we all do what we feel is right by our tortoises...
Completely agree- I know I sure try to : )

ahhh, Savings are always greater in bulk quantities :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I try to use as much from my yard as possible (mulberry leaves, rose leaves and petals, hibiscus, and grape leaves. I grow grasses in all the pens. A friend gives me cactus pads and cactus fruit whenever I ask. My friends give me all their old lettuces to supplement. I still end up buying high calcium greens, but they usually only get it once a week at the most. With as many turtles/tortoises as I have - I have to grow as much as possible or I would go broke too!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I feed it to my box turtles. But being small and eating in addition to bugs and protein, they don't eat very much of it.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Since mine are babies, I don't need as much as you would with adults. So I have planted, and am planting, as much in my yard as I can that will sustain them when they are grown up. The Spring Mix comes in handy, but now with everything growing in my new raised bed, and other plants growing around, they can eat almost exclusively from the yard. I have planted grapevines, hibiscus, ruellia, spineless opuntia, and have a space to grow tortoise seed mixes. Have a variety of greens and flowers growing in the raised bed. It is really a lot of fun to grow you own.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'll let you in on a big secret...which may only help a few...but if you have a Restaurant Depot in your area that's the place to go. ;)

3 lbs of spring mix (without spinach) is $4 and 3 big heads of Romain is $3 and that gets me nearly 3 weeks of food along with the stuff I grow, mazuri, and grazing.

You don't need to own a restaurant, just an EIN would work, so like I said, doesn't apply to everyone.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I once worked at a grocery store were we would throw away trimmings everyday of stuff that we could not leave on the shelf. It was approximately 75 pounds of produce daily. A lady who was part of a reptile rescue came a few times a week to receive a lot of these trimmings. I now go to that store to take the trimmings.

If you can build the courage to ask, try seeing if you can get them as well!

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
I make my own Spring Mix rather than buy the prepackaged stuff.

If you have a local co-op or farmer's market, check it out. We have one that is open Saturday and Sunday. I typically go Sunday afternoon when they're getting ready to close down. Rather than pack that stuff up and haul it away or be forced to dump it, the vendors will sell me greens like green and red oak leaf, red and green romaine, lolla rossa, chard, endive, radicchio, arugula, frisee, mustard greens, etc. for 50% off, and its already cheaper than supermarket prices to begin with.

A lot of times they'll give me stuff that's wilting that they are about to throw away. I can peel the parts away that are going bad and salvage some of it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only have one to feed, along with a lizard, so I don't need much. However, asking at any produce stores or restaurants will help anyone that needs a lot of store greens. Most are very willing to give you the stuff they can't sell, specially when you tell them what you are feeding it to, they are fascinated and happy to let you have it. Some day I hope to have the problem of feeding many:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Growing your own is also an option- it grows pretty well indoors.

Also, you can save a little by not worrying about organic. Organic in a supermarket does not mean what we generally think it means. Anyway, by the time the fresh produce is packed, shipped, sits around, etc.- most of the benefits of organic vs. commercial have been lost.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Smart & Final is another option. The great big bag of Spring Mix is $4 and the big bag of Santa Barbara mix is $3.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Well this more than answers my question; I definitely know how everyone using spring mix still affords an electronic device to access the forum on ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.