My new tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs.J

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I just got a new leopard tortoise (Tonka) on Monday evening.He was listed as a yearling. I brought him home and placed in enclosure (tortoise table 4x2 with coconut coir bedding, patch of grass and a few hides. I am using the combo uv/heat lamp and a heat pad) I weighed him the next day (Tuesday) and he was 101 g. On Tuesday he did not eat but moved around and was basking (temp approx 98-100) and moving in an out to regulate temperature. I put him in his hide box at night temp approx 80. Weighed him on Wednesday and the weight was 100g but did eat majority of the food offered(no vitamins or supplements on top) cut up kale, collared greens and bok choy with vitamins and calcium on top. Weighed again this morning and he is 99g. So he has dropped 1 gram each day. I soaked him today and he drank some, but has not eaten today. Also I noticed a faint clicking sound when breathing. He is doing the head and arm bobbing which I understand is normal. I am a little concerned about the clicking and lack of eating. Not sure if it is adjusting to new environment etc. When he moves about he stands up tall and moves about quickly. Just not sure if the clicking is normal or if I just need to give time to adjust.
Thanks for any help :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Howdy, Mrs.J:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

You are right to be worried, but give it a few more days. It could just be the tortoise is stressed by being in a new place. Keep him warm and soak him every day. He should come around soon.

boutselis

5 Year Member
Is there any discharge when he is breathing? Watch closely for as long as you can stand, I think 5 minutes would be plenty.

Mrs.J

5 Year Member
So Cal
Thanks for your replies! My name is Megan and I live in socal. There is no discharge or open mouth breathing. I will continue to soak everyday. Just want to make sure that it is not a respiratory infection.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Their breathing certainly is obvious as they move their heads and arms in and out.
I do think a lot of torts take a few days, or sometimes, even a few weeks, to start to eat normally in a new home.
How is the humidity? Temps?

Mrs.J

5 Year Member
So Cal
Thanks everyone for the nice welcome and advice! Tonka seems to be doing better and gaining weight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.