My new tortoise site

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hello all

This year I'm dedicating a part of my garden as a tortoise only zone. They will still get a free roam of the rest of my garden under very close supervision.
So the old outhouse(10x15ft) on left is coming down and I'm going to build a new insulated brick come glass house there that is heated etc leading to an outdoor area. old greenhouse is going.
So 2 questions, Can I leave that evergreen tree in there outdoor area or does it have to go. I'm guessing reds don't see evergreen in the wild.
Also something that I've wondered for a while now. The bottom part that comes down and around the patio bit is sloped quite a bit from below the newt pond(moving this, shhh Dawn doesn't know yet).:oops: Need to make this all secure and safe obviously, But how steep is too steep for tortoises. Do they like having hills to climb, What gradient is dangerous.IMG_1944.JPG

Thanks

Craig

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Craig:

Why would you want to take down that nice greenhouse? I'd keep it and fill it with plants. Also, the tortoise can go in if you make a tortoise door. Hard to tell the grade from the picture, but I don't think it's too steep. They do climb. Interesting that your neighborhood is all brick. I also have that type of tree in my RF tortoise yard. They aren't interested in it other than to use it for shade. I don't pick up the needles or the little cone-like droppings.

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
Hi Craig:

Why would you want to take down that nice greenhouse? I'd keep it and fill it with plants. Also, the tortoise can go in if you make a tortoise door. Hard to tell the grade from the picture, but I don't think it's too steep. They do climb. Interesting that your neighborhood is all brick. I also have that type of tree in my RF tortoise yard. They aren't interested in it other than to use it for shade. I don't pick up the needles or the little cone-like droppings.

That's the UK for you, we don't have large expanses of land with wooden fences. Everything was industrial and permanent as we like to keep to ourselves and show everyone what is our property ;)

Anyfoot, that garden is a great size. I'm sure the Evergreen will be fine, if your torts aren't WC (which is unlikely in the UK) then introducing them to new growth won't cause any kind of stress.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi Craig:, !

Hi Yvonne.

I new you were going to say that to me. lol It was a really good one made of aluminium but very old and broken in parts. Most houses in the UK either have brick or privet around them as boarders. Only the new houses they bang up quick and cheep have open gardens, and they cram them in with very little garden space. The old houses are built out of engineering red brick, best bricks ever. The outhouse you can see is split into 3, 1 used to be an old coal house, 1 a toilet for the house owners and 1 for the maids and servents, many years ago. This house is about 150yrs old. Still stronger than new build houses today. Im going to knock that out house down and rebuild using the same bricks. Very expensive to buy those bricks.

Sorry but oops

photo 5 (3).JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I suppose they still use "outhouses" in very rural, less populated areas, but all cities now have indoor plumbing, and have done for many, many years.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
outhouses are very regulated where i live, permits and stuff. I always wanted one in the back yard. Hard to stop doing what Im doing when nature calls, gather animals and kids just to go potty. the boys just let it rip. lol. why are you moving the newt pond?

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
We are all so nosey!:p I always zoom in and check out peoples houses, fences, cars, neighborhoods and plants etc!

I think you have a nice sized backyard! I can't wait to see the improvements!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I suppose they still use "outhouses" in very rural, less populated areas, but all cities now have indoor plumbing, and have done for many, many years.
Same here. I vaguely remember as a child the use of outside toilets, so about 30 yrs ago was the time that everyone had indoor toilet plumbing. I remember my mum and dads house had both indoor and outdoor toilets. Although the outhouse was a 4 block of toilets as there was 4 houses to a yard and each had there own outdoor toilet. These were terraced houses. Basically every house on the road was joined together, And there was a entry to every 4 houses to get to the back of them. Photos below. If you look at right photo you can see the out houses. All 2 and 3 bedroom houses. We are lucky, we have managed to move up and get a detached single house with 5 bedroom. Hopefully look after our parents one day. Repay the debt lol

images (1).jpg images.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
We are all so nosey!:p I always zoom in and check out peoples houses, fences, cars, neighborhoods and plants etc!

I think you have a nice sized backyard! I can't wait to see the improvements!
Me too. And I was thinking earlier, there is a thread on here called something like, "You know you have a tortoise when". And its when you look at a photo beyond the tortoise. Nothing wrong with looking at how others live. :)

Prairie Mom

Thanks for showing off your yard and neighborhood Anyfoot! It was great fun to see everything:D It looks like you're doing really nice things outside!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
outhouses are very regulated where i live, permits and stuff. I always wanted one in the back yard. Hard to stop doing what Im doing when nature calls, gather animals and kids just to go potty. the boys just let it rip. lol. why are you moving the newt pond?
Was scared of torts falling in. We found the newts were breeding too, so would be a shame to move it. But torts come first.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my lord in heaven! Someone report him for destroying a nature preserve! JK

Can't you include it in your tortoise yard, but protect it somehow with a decorative fence?