My new tortoise site

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
im just envious. I would love a newt pond in my back yard. but the wild critters would be loving that.
Its true what they say. "you always want what you cant't have". I have seen many photos of your guys gardens and thought, I can't do that or I want that. I've realised we as humans have to make the most of what we were dealt. What did you mean by wild critters, what do you have that would eat newts?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Racoons and possums... even the hawks. A newt pond would be awesome! Maybe some frogs, too...
Your yard looks great! Love that fence :D... I'll take that greenhouse off your hands ;):p

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Racoons and possums... evenqwxzed5kl
the hawks. A newt pond would be awesome! Maybe some frogs, too...
Your yard looks great! Love that fence :D... I'll take that greenhouse off your hands ;):p
We don't really have predators, We sometimes get foxes in the garden but our cats see them off.
We also have hedgehogs and squirrels sometimes, And we got frogs and toads that visit the pond. The bird life we get is unreal but very rarely birds of prey, We get finches,robins, loads of ****,thrush,blackbirds,sparrows,wood pigeons,pie wagtails,crows.magpies and sometimes sparrow hawks.
We also have a family of small bats that live in the heaves of our house. In the summer they fly round our house at dusk catching flying insects. We spend hours watching them.
I suppose the biggest pest in our garden has got to be, mmm yes it must be, definitely,yep it is, its our kids and I don't mean goats. :D

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well today I have learned something new.
I have cleared out my 3 outhouses taken doors off and started to take the roof off.
However we have found loads of hibernating butterflies in the outhouses. Dawns favourite creature.OMG talk about slow things down:mad:. So she collected them all up. I now have butterflies flying around my tortoise room.:rolleyes: She has put bananas out for them to eat.
I said " I reckon my hinges would like to taste them. :eek: she said. Followed by something I shouldn't repeat on here:).

I always thought the butterfly cycle was eggs to caterpillar to chrysalis to butterfly, and I thought that some chrysalis were kept over winter then hatched to butterfly to start the cycle again. mmm:confused: Do they do both?
images (3).jpg

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Love the bricks ! In So.Florida we dont see many brick buildings.
And when you talk about not having predators there, I have seen online alot
of people in the UK have yard bunnies. Even when I shop online I see the most unique rabbit runs that are from there ! So jealous ! In the US rabbits dont get vaccines though. Your yard looks like a wonderful place for your
animals to live !

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
Yard bunnies? I don't think us in the UK have enough 'yard' space to get wild rabbits. Often they're seen out in fields or the countryside, but I would never consider them a pest either, they're much too timid :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Love the bricks ! In So.Florida we dont see many brick buildings.
And when you talk about not having predators there, I have seen online alot
of people in the UK have yard bunnies. Even when I shop online I see the most unique rabbit runs that are from there ! So jealous ! In the US rabbits dont get vaccines though. Your yard looks like a wonderful place for your
animals to live !
Hold on I'm a bit confused. Do you guys consider rabbits as a pest or are you saying the fact we have a lot of pet rabbits we obviously don't have many predators. What do you guys make your houses out of if not brick work. :)

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Hold on I'm a bit confused. Do you guys consider rabbits as a pest or are you saying the fact we have a lot of pet rabbits we obviously don't have many predators. What do you guys make your houses out of if not brick work. :)
I meant yard bunnies as domestic pet bunnies, not wild ones.
In Florida houses are mostly concrete foundation with concrete blocks & then stucco. No basements in Florida either.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well I'm still dismantling my old outhouses. Should be done for end of April, Then get bricklayers to rebuild, won't take them long.
I'm cleaning off all the old bricks to re-use. Hard work but worth it. New bricks would be about £2500.
Some photos of progress. Roof is off, will re-use tiles but need more as well, found a source of exact same tiles. Now a case of take bricks down and clean them off.
Glad I'm not in the building trade, its very hard work. lol
1st photo of outhouse demolition, rest are just photos of my garden, its still cold here and everything looks doom and gloom. Wanted to show you that funny looking tree. It looks right good now, can see the seeds hanging and in the summer it gets weird looking wrinkly leaves on it.
If anybody can tell me the names of anything they see it would be appreciated. All I know is apple tree and Christmas tree. lol:)
Also I'm hoping you can see the gradient of my garden, Is this ok for torts as long as I make it safe.

Also I know everybody likes to nosey at other gardens, Well I do anyway, Especially how its different in different countries. Its interesting how across the globe things differ.

If you look at the top right in 1st photo you can see that house with solar panels covering the roof, its the latest thing here over last few years, makes me laugh, you need sun for solar panels. lol
IMG_2193.JPG IMG_2187.JPG IMG_2189.JPG IMG_2190.JPG IMG_2191.JPG IMG_2192.JPG IMG_2194.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love that contorted hazelnut bush. I bought a couple of them and planted them in my box turtle yard, but they don't do well here. Too hot.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I had an old one in my backyard until just a few years back.
I love that contorted hazelnut bush. I bought a couple of them and planted them in my box turtle yard, but they don't do well here. Too hot.
Wow a contorted hazelnut. Now that I will remember. Cool name and quite apt. Why does it seed in the winter months, find that strange.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
o
We are all so nosey!:p I always zoom in and check out peoples houses, fences, cars, neighborhoods and plants etc!

I think you have a nice sized backyard! I can't wait to see the improvements!

Lol I will remember to stop posting pictures of my yards then. :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Huh, I thought it was a Walking stick bush, Corylus Avellana Contorta. Are they actually the same thing as a contorted hazelnut?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have always wanted a hammock. *sigh* Do you use yours a lot?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Huh, I thought it was a Walking stick bush, Corylus Avellana Contorta. Are they actually the same thing as a contorted hazelnut?

Yup...same thing. Harry Lauder's walking stick too